CAN'T FIT CEILING ROSE!!! HELP ME PLEASE!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I removed an ugly spotlight from my landing(which has a two waylite switch) the 3 wires hanging from the ceiling are earth, a grey covered one, and a red one. But on my new ceiling rose, the diagram shows I have to connect 3 reds,3 earths, and 3 neutrals!! Eh?? Thats 9 wires, but I only have 3 coming out of the ceiling? Cant put the old light back cos i dropped it and it smashed, and to make matters worse, my spare room light no longer works since I did this. PLEASE HELP IF YOU CAN!! x[/img]

Sponsored Links
As wind-ups go. this one is rather poor........

Lucia

Wind up?? i wish.

I'm so gutted, will need to call out an electrician who will prob charge me £100 for summat simple.

Please help if you can, not a wind up x

Sponsored Links
post a picture, should be simple if you only have 3 wires

OK Annie, you've melted my heart, how can I help you at this hour, 02.42 BST. Are you still on the stepladder?

Lucia.[/code]

Assuming this grey wire consists of just one wire, then this is neutral.
You may be able to see black insulation inside. This goes in one of the two holes along side the blue wire of the lampholder flex.

Red would be the live. This goes in hole along side the brown wire of the lampholder flex.

The centre terminal (loop) remains empty.

The earth wire goes to the earth terminal, usually a brass block near the edge of the rose.

Assuming I have understood your post correctly, and that grey wire doesn't contain any other wires, then I can't understand why the spare room light doesn't work, unless
you have the power off
have lost a wire in the ceiling space
have disturbed some wiring somewhere.

Work safely and make sure you isolate all of the power first.

Annette - you've got the opposite problem to the one most people face when going the other way, i.e. removing a ceiling rose to fit a light which only has L/N/E terminals and wondering what to do with 9 wires.

You've only got L/N/E, so connect them to the Live, Neutral and Earth terminals in the rose.

//www.diynot.com/wiki/electrics:lighting

You'll have to start tracing the wiring to the other light to find where the problem is with that.

Thanks for all the replies!
There are no wires missing or disturbed,the loft is boarded and I only unscrewed the old spot
these are the wires on landing
this is the rose
this is the diagram

it shows 9 wires to connect to the rose,3 green/yellow,3 black/ blue,3red/ brown. as i only have a grey,a red and a yellow, where do I put them?? :oops: I know the earth goes to the brass earth screw, but what about the others?
I tried putting the red in the middle of the rose,and the grey into the N with the blue rose wire, and the tried it in L withe the brown rose wire, but NOTHING!!
really appreciate any help. spare room lite not worked since I took spot down. DIY halted,feel like an idiot, :oops:

The diagram is not relevent to your house wiring.

With the wires you appear to have you do not connect anything to the centre terminal.

I take it you have checked all lamps (bulbs) are ok?
And that power has been turned on correctly?
Sometimes an rcd can trip and go unnoticed.

Is the lampholder part of the pendant in good order ie good connection, lamp making contact with the pins?

Have you removed any other lights or switches in the property?

Check the lampholder. Some of the newer, cheaper ones click together, so something may be loose.

Work safely with the power off.

I have not touched any other lights in the house, everything was good till I did this!!

Im off to try your earlier suggestion of putting the grey with the neutral on the rose, and the red with the brown, and leaving the middle empty. Its a new rose, juts bought it yesteday. any reason why the spare room lite has died?

if this doesnt work, im tempted to take the rose down from my room and put that up, but then will probably end up with no lights working at all! Wish I had paid more attention in science...

If you DO take the light down in your room you must make sure you blank off the wires so there is no break in the circuit.

You may be better off getting another ceiling rose pendant before the diy shop closes.

Do you own a multimeter?

Have you checked inside the lampholder of the new pendant?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back