CAN'T FIT CEILING ROSE!!! HELP ME PLEASE!!

Sponsored Links
that didnt work.

Really stumped...what did u mean about the wires in the other light? I might try a whole light fitting, rather than a rose, see if it works. bit worried about the spare room light,argggghhh!!!!

This:

is just a few bits of brass bar with threaded holes and screws, there cannot be anything wrong with it which would stop other lights on the same circuit from working.

Getting a new one, or trying one from another room won't fix the problem.

What's the blue tape or sleeving in this photo:

?

Are you absolutely sure that there were only three conductors attached to the old light?

If you cannot get the new light to work when connected to the red and the single grey, and you've got other lights not working then my money is on a disturbed connection. You say that you only unscrewed the old spotlight, but you will have pulled/pushed/wiggled the wires when doing so, and if one of them came from a junction box and wasn't properly screwed down, or was just twisted together with another one, it could easily have come loose.

You need to get up into the loft and lift the boards I'm afraid.... :confused:

Is there still a wire attached to the old, broken fitting?

I will bet it used to attach to the conductor inside that bit of blue tape that is on the end of the cable sheath.....

I will further bet that if you connect the grey sheathed wire (on the left) to the black wire that is behind the blue tape then your bathroom light will work.

Why don't you try that and come back.

PS I do hope that you are doing all of this WITH THE POWER OFF?

Sponsored Links
That might even be a blue thru crimp, which would explain why a 1.0mm² wire has pulled out of it.

For a lighting circuit wired in singles like the one in this thread, I'd expect to see two neutrals at all fittings except the last on the circuit.

That might even be a blue thru crimp, which would explain why a 1.0mm² wire has pulled out of it.

For a lighting circuit wired in singles like the one in this thread, I'd expect to see two neutrals at all fittings except the last on the circuit.
the blue thing is the plastic wall plug(rawl plug?) where the screw went to hold the light fitting to the ceiling,thanks x

Not sure you could get Red and earth cable.
A better picture of them, where they enter the grey sheath would be nice.

Where the green one enters the grey sheath, can you see any trace of black insulation.
Also inside the end of the single grey is that black colour

Rocky: 6241Y cable was available both as Red+cpc and Black+cpc.

Not only but also, it's still available in the harmonised colours of brown and blue....

admit it, you've chaned a light switch too..

or you have fuses and wired it up wrong and blew the fuse but haven't realised it.

admit it, you've chaned a light switch too..

or you have fuses and wired it up wrong and blew the fuse but haven't realised it.
I SWEAR,all I did was take the old light down!! just checked in the loft, there is no box, just grey wires that lead from somewhere,and go down into the ceiling.Theres nothing poked thru up into the ceiling,and nothing disturbed(except me...) God knows what happened. will have to admit defeat and ring "sparky" Can't understand why the spare room lites not working???

Annette:

That cable with the red & green/yellow coming out of it... Is there also a black?

It sure looks to me as if there is a third conductor coming out of that grey sheath.

It may be that there is a neutral feed to the spare room that has been omitted.

You could do worse than trying to connect the two blacks together to see if the spare room lights up once more...

Work safely!

Does anybody know if this is gonna be a mega-expensive job?? Gonna ring a few electricians tomorrow

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back