Can't get to the rose terminal

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, newby calling.

I'm doing a total refurb of our ensuite. We moved in four weeks ago, and this is first project. Floor to ceiling tiling and lovely pink suite is stripped out and back to stud walls. Property was built in 1989.

Now the rebuild and lighting first.

Want to put in two circuits. One for two LEDs in centre and two in wetroom. Other circuit is for three LEDs above mirror and two in front of wall cupboard.

Problem is, the existing light and fan wire run out of the room and I assume go somewhere and hall ceiling.

I have a switch wire, a feed to light and a three core and earth to a timed fan.

Any ideas?

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
1) You have no choice but to trace the wiring and connect to it appropriately.

2) Is the lighting circuit RCD protected?

Hi. Hmm that could be tricky.

Yes the circuit is RCD protected.

I was hoping that someone might say it was okay to take a feed for the second circuit from the permanent live to the fan?

But you want two circuits. I realise you don't mean that, but you want separate switching?

The fan should be on a 3-pole isolator, so not a good place to take a supply to another switch from.

And you're doing a total refurb - there will always be consequential work, like opening up other parts of the house to get at wiring. 'Tis the nature of the beast.

Sponsored Links
Hi. No 3 pole isolator on the fan. It was isolated on the bathroom lighting circuit.

Happy enough to fit one feeding off to the new fan when I fit it, but really just need to know if there are any problems taking a feed from the existing 3 core to a new rose, and using that for separate light circuit and switch.

Know what your saying about total refurb, but wasn't planning on ripping out the hall ceiling to find a rose.

Cheers

Connect your new feed cable to the terminals in the junction box where the feed is connected to the existing lights in the en-suite.

Use this to supply your new lights.

When it comes to doing the fan, you have to decide whether to have the fan come on with one group of lights or the other, or be independent.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back