Can't remove screw on leaky shower

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks,

I have this shower that's leaking:

IMG_2877.jpg

I was told here to replace this cartridge but 1 of these 4 screws I can't remove. It's corroded I think.

Is there anything I can do I really need to get this cartridge out for a bit to see what to order as a replacement.

Cheers

Sponsored Links
First try to hacksaw a deeper groove for a flathead screwdriver.

Thanks, but there's no room to saw a groove is there?

I mean the screw is surrounded on one side by the cartridge.

It's the bottom left screw by the way.

It seems you actually managed to get the other three screws out?
Were they the self tapping type, threading into plastic?
If the head of the screw is removed, i.e drilled off, there may just be enough material protruding (cartridge out) so that mole grips could grab it.....
Ideally you'd cut some sort of slot for a conventional screwdriver, maybe with a Dremel or similar.
Have you tried showerdoc for parts / exploded diagrams?
John :)

Sponsored Links
Hi, trouble is I need to take the cartridge out to identify it so I can order it. So I'll need to put it back in until the replacement comes.

I'm not sure if they were self tapping, and I did manage to get the other 3 out ok.

I don't have a Dremel I'm afraid.

If I can't get this out do you think a plumber with proper tools could? He'd need to identify it and put it back and then hopefully I could swap the cartridge when it arrives.

Seems a lot of money for someone to remove a screw, but I don't know what else to do.

A plumber wouldn't necessarily have any particular tool for this.....each application is different.
Personally I'd be inclined to get rid of the screw head (that should release the cartridge) and take it from there.
With a bit of luck, the remaining screw thread won't be very hard metal.
There's a chance that 3 screws could be enough to hold the new cartridge
in place, but any job like this has a risk!
Obviously the original screws weren't high quality stainless steel!
Can you get behind the shower control if need be, to renew it?
John :)

Maybe you can apply some downward force on your screwdriver using a lever while turning the screw driver.

There is a countersink bit available, designed to turn anti clockwise and bite into the head of screws with a view to unscrewing them.
(saw the kit in aldi)

I would be looking at drilling the head off, then drilling the rest at the core diam size or just under and open up with needle file.
The remains of thread still in engagement should not be difficult to remove.

Looking at the condition of that screw you'll be lucky to release it with out damaging the brass threaded insert as that only fits into the plastic casing.
If damaged then it's a complete new outer casing. (Depending if it's the early model)

And that's a grey thermostatic cartridge Retail about £80

Thanks so much for identifying it. Can I be sure it is the'grey' version? Which is 022801 I believe.

If I can order it before tackling the screw it certainly makes life easier.

Do you think it's worth me buying a Torx T25 and trying that first?

There's no other access behind the tiles. If this goes wrong, does anyone have any idea on the cost and difficulty in getting the shaower working again?

The whole bathroom needs replacing really, which I can't afford, so I just need to get this sorted as cheaply as possible.

Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back