Can't screw backnut to the lockshield valve

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all. I am trying to install a radiator and I am stuck in the last step. So, for whatever reason, I can't tighten the backnut with the olive nut and the lockshield valve. I can't figure out why this is happening. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• IMG_20221016_124315.jpg
    IMG_20221016_124315.jpg
    166 KB · Views: 117
  • IMG_20221016_124301.jpg
    IMG_20221016_124301.jpg
    156.3 KB · Views: 125
  • IMG_20221016_124256.jpg
    IMG_20221016_124256.jpg
    146.3 KB · Views: 111
Sponsored Links
You are trying to connect a rad tail to a rad tail extension. Totally wrong.
If you change the radiator valve to one with a 15 mm compression fitting ( rather than 3/4 inch union) you might have a chance ,but the rad tail extension may be too short to reach ,and you may need a longer one.

Reactions: CBW
Hello Terry and thanks for your answer.

Could you help me understand it a bit more? So to mind, I bought that lockshield valve

Isn't it what goes on the opposite side of a TRV valve?

And because the radiator is
narrower than the old one, I bought this rad tail valve extension

I thought that the rad tail extension is the same as a rad tail valve but just longer..

So, the lockshield valve is 1/2", the backnut is 1/2" so I thought they will fit.

P.S. On the other side, where I used the same rad tail extension, the backnut went in smoothly.

Please help me understand where I am wrong mate...

Sponsored Links
Fair enough.. So the valve is 3/4" even though in Screwfix's website it says 1/2"... Can't understand how you can miss the description on something simple like this one... Anyway, thanks for your help.

The part that screws into the rad (the tail) is ¹/² inch thread. But the union that connects the valve body to the tail is 3/4 inch union.
Your TRV had a ¹/² inch tail ,but the tail connects to the TRV body with a 15mm compression fitting.
If you had a lockshield valve with a 15 mm compression fitting to its tail ,that would connect to your tail extension. ( If its long enough to reach)

A bit of a bodge, but given where you've got to, you could use a female iron fitting between the locksheild valve and the rad tail. It will look like a diy fudge but the connections will match up and you should be able to get it to seal. You will need to cut the rad tail a bit shorter to fit.

Oh and don't use PTFE tape on the thread of a compression joint, it performs no function. If you have a need to use it anywhere, then it only goes around the olive.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back