Can't set Cruse control to 20 MPH, and not sure how accurate speedo is at that speed.

Sponsored Links
The cruise on my Octavia wouldn't set at less than 21mph.

Sponsored Links
I've recently been trying the Automatic Speed Limiter.

Easier to slow down on bends than with cruise control.

Using cruise control on our A3, if the car starts exceeding the set limit when the car goes downhill, it automatically applies the brakes to slow down to the set speed. The Golf just goes faster and faster.

Using cruise control on our A3, if the car starts exceeding the set limit when the car goes downhill, it automatically applies the brakes to slow down to the set speed. The Golf just goes faster and faster.
On a more general point, do the brake lights come on when this happens? In other words are brake lights designed to operate whenever the vehicle brakes, which in the case you describe is part of an automated process, or only when the pedal is pressed?

On a more general point, do the brake lights come on when this happens? In other words are brake lights designed to operate whenever the vehicle brakes, which in the case you describe is part of an automated process, or only when the pedal is pressed?
Yes, brake lights work on Audis.
Don't know about other cars.

It's a legal requirement. I can't remember the threshold, but if the car is decelerating at more than about (I think) 0.3G, then the brake lights must illuminate, even if that's being done by regeneration (in the case of an EV) or intelligent cruise control (in the case of any sort of vehicle). It's not required for engine braking in an ICE, but you'd have to pick a pretty low gear and pretty high speed to decelerate at 0.3G or more!

I note some of the 20 limits now returned to 30, so the time one is having to carefully monitor the lower speed is less, I also note the 30 limits now have repeater signs, the 20 limits don't, but working out if in Wales or England is a problem, so we need little Welsh dragons on all lamp posts in Wales, or a large sign on boarders "Welcome to Wales land of the slow" with the Welsh version first of course so by time you reach the English version you have passed the sign.

I note some of the 20 limits now returned to 30, so the time one is having to carefully monitor the lower speed is less, I also note the 30 limits now have repeater signs, the 20 limits don't, but working out if in Wales or England is a problem, so we need little Welsh dragons on all lamp posts in Wales, or a large sign on boarders "Welcome to Wales land of the slow" with the Welsh version first of course so by time you reach the English version you have passed the sign.

Isn't the ARAF, painted on the road at every bend, enough?

The Marches have swapped from Wales to England to Wales throughout the ages, so we have Welsh sounding place names, in some cases there has been an addition to the name, Pool is still shown on mile stones, but most signs say Welshpool. Driving from Mid to North Wales and back I cross the boarder many times, and although some boarder crossing have large signs, some only say "Powis" on a small sign, so unless the visitor knows Powis is a Welsh county he may be completely unaware he/she is in Wales, and this is the 'A' roads.

In England the 30 MPH sign must not be repeated, but a sign other than 30 be it 20 or 40, must be repeated every so many lamp posts, but now that really needs to change, specially as the automated signs to warn one you have exceeded the limit are being removed or covered up, so if you in a genuine error think you are in another speed limit, only needs a hedge to cover a sign, there is nothing to show ones error.

This has not been helped by Flintshire putting up signs by schools with the colours reversed so black circle and red 20 which have now faded, and they had no cancel so you just had to assume as not repeated out of restricted area. So one drives for miles in unrestricted areas at 20.

Sponsored Links
Back