Can't set Cruse control to 20 MPH, and not sure how accurate speedo is at that speed.

Is this a wind up!
My thoughts exactly.
My last two cars have/had cruise but I've never bothered to use it.
At least modern electric speedos don't have low speed needle 'bounce' to contend with when you are trying to stick to the posted limit :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
Just turn engine off, put in neutral, open the driver's door and push with your right leg, as if you're going on a scooter.
That's 20mph or just over...

Just turn engine off, put in neutral, open the driver's door and push with your right leg, as if you're going on a scooter.
That's 20mph or just over...
LOL any bored copper about would probably nick you for 'failure to maintain adequate control of a motor vehicle' ;)

I don’t think you can set most cruise controls below 30 mph
from experience of owning
2011 VW Golf - min speed on Cruise Control 25MPH (approx) - 40kph
2006 Honda Accord - min speed on Cruise Control 25MPH (approx) - 40kph
Post 2012 Honda's - min speed on Cruise Control 18MPH (approx) - 30kph

Sponsored Links
from experience of owning
2011 VW Golf - min speed on Cruise Control 25MPH (approx) - 40kph
2006 Honda Accord - min speed on Cruise Control 25MPH (approx) - 40kph
Post 2012 Honda's - min speed on Cruise Control 18MPH (approx) - 30kph
On my A6 is 20mph

Speed limiter?
Yes. The clue is in the name. You set your maximum speed and you can drive normally up to that speed and you won’t edge over it accidentally and risk a ticket.

When our daughter got married in Islington, it was a 20mph speed limit all the way back from there until we got to the A12 in Hackney. It was bloody painful! A speed limiter would have been very handy in that situation.

Last edited:
Yes I missed out "at 20mph" in my reply.
That’s was the reason for my first post in this thread - my friend had to go down a 3 mile stretch which was a 20mph limit and the police often wait for someone doing 25. Very easy to creep up to that speed from 20 without noticing. That’s how she found her CC couldn’t be set at 20.

Last edited:
That’s was the reason for my first post in this thread - my friend had to go down a 3 mile stretch which was a 20mph limit and the police often wait for someone doing 25. Very easy to creep up to that speed from 30 without noticing. That’s how she found her CC couldn’t be set at 20.
Oh ok the 20mph zones by me usually have speed bumps also so cruise control would be useless

When the Flintshire county council put 20 MPH speed limits around schools they had signs with 20 in red and a black circle, and no end of speed limit, it seems they were unofficial and not allowed to repeat the 30 speed limit signs, and as the sun bleached the signs hard to see wrong colour, but was told at the time 20 MPH only enforceable if there are also traffic calming measures as well. However since then seen many with correct colours without traffic calming be it chicane or speed bumps, so not so sure that is still the case.

I find it disconcerting when bicycles over take one, it seems the speed limits do not apply to bikes, they can be done for peddling furiously but clearly not down the straight road Buckley to Ewloe where one can free wheel at 25 MPH.

It was put in the papers that the trail was scrapped, so no one seems to obey the new speed limits, and I find cars also over taking me at 20 so it makes the route more not less dangerous. I have no objections to 20 MPH past schools or in housing estates, but classified roads should not really be limited to below 30 MPH, and there are some very long straight classified roads which without some speed restrict device would be hard to maintain 20 MPH especially in an automatic car where engine speed does not relate to road speed.

The 20MPH speed limit in Edinburgh isn't enforced. Apparently it's because the measuring instruments are not calibrate for use below 30MPH.
That's the story doing the rounds.

Any mph sign in a red circle is mandatory and enforceable. I was prosecuted in Plymouth for excessive speed after entering a 20mph average speed check zone, I'd not driven on that road for a few years and was caught right at the beginning of the zone.

Our A3. I got it wrong. 15mph, not 18mph. USA online manual, so mine may be different but I CBA to go out to the car to check it at the moment.
Just checked when I went out in it. 15mph.

IMG_1558.jpeg

I'll just wait for the splutter and condemnation from those that want to crucify me for taking a photo at 15mph and driving with low washer fluid. :rolleyes:

Just checked when I went out in it. 15mph.

View attachment 310567

I'll just wait for the splutter and condemnation from those that want to crucify me for taking a photo at 15mph and driving with low washer fluid. :rolleyes:
I've reported this to the police.
You're endangering other road users at that speed.
Everyone, including pedestrians have to make hazardous manoeuvres to pass you...

Any mph sign in a red circle is mandatory and enforceable. I was prosecuted in Plymouth for excessive speed after entering a 20mph average speed check zone, I'd not driven on that road for a few years and was caught right at the beginning of the zone.
You were probably caught doing more than speeding. Speeding penalties usually get you points. Did you run someone over?

Sponsored Links
Back