Can't turn tap off, looking for device.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, my first post here, but I will no doubt have many more dumb questions in the future ;)

Okay, my kitchen cold tap won't turn off, thankfully it's not at full power, but it's a constant large trickle, so I guess I need to replace the tap washer? (I can turn the tap with no resistance at all).

But that's not the problem, I was told that the tap for stopping the water flow is under my kitchen floorboards, found it quickly enough, but it's within a maze of half pipes and newer pipes, so I can't get a grip on it.

So, I'm wondering if I can get a device that will clamp on to the feeder pipe under my sink that can turn the water off in place of the stoptap? something similar to a self cutting tap perhaps?

Thanks!

SB.

Sponsored Links
Don't know of any such device :rolleyes:
You are best advised to employ a plumber to fit you a new stoptap in an accessible place. You never know when it will be needed urgently.
Have the tap rewashered / replaced at the same time ;)

Hi Scatter Brain

Any device for stopping the water without shutting off the main stop-cock will involve making a hole in the pipe leading to your tap - so then you'll have to fix that.

About the only thing I can suggest is that you try to freeze the pipe below the tap under your sink. You can purchase a freezing kit at most plumbing supplies or DIY shops. These use a two chemical pack which when mixed produce a reaction which drwas the heat out, producing a localised freezing.

I must confess that I have never used one of these kits so I do not how long the freezing effect lasts for - but you'll only have a limited time to work, especially if your pipe is copper, which is great conducter of heat.

My advice would be to find a way to shut off the stop-cock, even if that means calling out a plumber.

Can't you make a device to turn the stop cock on and off. I'm thinking of steel tube about 1.5 in diam. If you cut a slot in the end about 0.5 inch wide it should slip over the 'T' handle. Could use a modified box spanner!
You should also have an outside stop cock to turn the mains water supply off, again you need an extended device. 3 in by 2 in wood with a slot will suffice, but if it affects neighbours you need to let them know what is happening.
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
Wots "bray"?
Go intothe road and look for a stop tap - may be on the pavament, easy if there's a meter box.

Nemo you can't freeze a pipe which has water going through it at the pace of a "large trickle". Concentrate on your Profile problem!
I have changed tap washers "live", but you get damp. Turn on garden tap + any others to reduce pressure at cold kitchen tap. Undo tap under a large towel, and you'll need a helper to hold their hand over the tap while you rapidly change the washer. Getting the tap back in can be fun, especially if your mains pressure is high.
Having other nearby taps open is the key.
It's only water, it washes off y'know.

To help with your question.... first use a pair of grips to undo the gland nut a bit - that's the one on the shaft below the handle.
You can buy a Crutch key (I think its called) to go overr the tap's top but you still need good access. I often use the hole in the end of a spanner handle , over one lobe of the tap 's head. Careful you don't break the head off.
If its really stuck you can try heat - a heat gun or blowlamp. Often that softens the gunk which is holding the tap.

If you wander out to the pavement you should find a stop-cock there somewhere, although it may be shared with a neighbour.
That's what the plumber will have to turn off to change you stop-cock anyways.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back