car radio dropping signal every 5 seconds

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
One thing gets fixed and another thing starts! :mrgreen:

My stereo never asked for a code, once I got it all sorted from the battery etc and it was working just fine for the past week until today. Now, it loses it's signal for 1 or 2 seconds, every 5 or 6 seconds. It's like an elaborate form of torture!!! :)

Would a fuse or a lose or dodgy cable cause this? Or is the aerial faulty or any other suggestions. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Well if the power dies (no noise at all) might be a fuse, but I'd say, water in the aerial. If it works OK on the CD (tape) then its the radio ........ if you get my drift?

Ok. Must try to check that if possible. Water in the aerial? Still, this is out of nowhere. And I can't think of any way this could have happened? I mean it always rains!!!!
The CD changer was removed from the car and I never bothered replacing it as I don't really need one. The cassette thingy never worked before but I'll try it again I guess. I was basically using an FM transmitter to my cigarette lighter and plugging an iPOD into it! :)

If the radio is losing its power supply then theoretically the illumination of the set would go too (if applicable).....best to go over the aerial connection as well as the speaker connections.
Conventional car radios have a permanent live (to retain the station memory) and a switched live - to actually play the set.
I don't really follow which set up you have....is the standard car radio still there?
John :)

Sponsored Links
I've got the original radio that came with the car and it is all connected to the LCD display which controls date, time, air con and stereo. It looks like this from the outside:

140.jpg

But it has no display itself(the radio). The cassette part doesn't work(typical), so I cannot check to find out if it is the signal or not. The CD changer was removed by the previous owner, so can't do that either. I've had a look at the aerial, but I'm not sure what to look for. It seems fine. It screws in to the top/back of the car. Seems fairly well in tact, with some slight signs of age. How can I check it for sure?

I did have the radio out last week, trying to get the serial number but it worked for a week afterwards. I guess I may have unsettled a cable there, but I'm not convinced. There seems to be a click as it loses signal and again as it returns. Could be speakers? But why would all 4 speakers lose signal for a second every 5?

Should I try to make sure the aerial and where it screws in are cleaned? Perhaps WD40?

The radio fitted in mine, a Peugeot 406, doesn't need a code it is actually encoded in the radio but if you fit one with the wrong internal code, or you fit mine in another vehicle, it works ok but bleeps every 5 seconds.

You might need the code for yours to cure problem.

Had a 2 hour drive last night, and just for giggles, I turned the radio on as I was nearly home and it was working fine. It's a mystery. I'll be heading out again now shortly and we'll see. :)

Currently still working. I think it must be possessed!

Probably poor aerial connection, mine often looses signal, crap french parts in my Nissan.

Sponsored Links
Back