Car scouting again - C4s any good?

Quite true Dave. Siphoning the oil generally leaves residue. A real pain getting under the car and removing the plastic belly panel to access the sump but I have it down to a fine art these days. The PSA 1.6 diesel engine oil filter arrangement is one of those nasty black plastic caps one has to unscrew to change a cardboard insert. A real cock-eyed arrangement. Why they couldn't have utilised a nice and simple metal canister filter is anyones guess. That should say Mobil oil in my previous post sorry. £26 for a 5 litre tub from Wilko's. Halfords do it for £36 the rob dogs. I've seen it for £28.50 inc delivery on a certain auction site that is an anagram of Abye.

Sponsored Links
By the way to the original poster....

Well done on not buying a Citroen. They are nailed together. French Leylands in my experience.

ref: Mobile Super 3000 X1 FE 5w/30

This, according to Mobil, is mainly a Ford spec oil.

VW's 507.00 is a higher spec and can accommodate almost all petrol and diesel 5w30 applications.

To quote a post I read
"The Ford oil even top spec WSS-M2C 913D 5W30 is only ever about fuel efficiency and done by making the viscosity less typically 9.2 - 9.5 centiStokes, and not extra friction modifiers used to make a C2 which is also a C3. It doesn't offer the same protection for sludge etc as VW 504.00/507.00."

Local VW does a Quantum 507.00 5L tub for £24. Got Mann filters beause Mann supply the Volvo factories.

Noted about the sump drain. Have always done that. However, I'm not doing the service, the happy new owner of the car is getting his retired car mechanic mate to do it. I sourced all the parts so he doesn't have that hassle.

The car was driven a 120miles home to Derby and it was a delightful drive I'm told.

ref: Citroen C5
Washed outside but not valeted inside. Driver's seat was damaged, glove box was jammed and the interior was rather basic.

Went to see a Passat TDI but leaving an oil tub and jump leads on the back seat doesn't really inspire a buyer.

Presently running a 2003 Bora TDI myself, which does actually run mint, I'm tempted to get an S40 1.6D SE, I like them!

I always used Total Quartz Ineo ICS (?) in my Citroen C5 and Peugeot 508, same 2.0 Hdi engine. Good price on EBay / Amazon. Proper stuff, low SAPS.

Sponsored Links
If I were to choose a Total Quartz oil product, it would be the 507.00 LL.

£25 for 5L on good old ebay.

I don't use it to its extended life of 18k miles, I change it at 6k miles. 507.00 has superior additives for wear, slude...etc, and that's why I use it. Also, 6k miles to keep the build up of deposits minimal.

It's not listed as meeting Volvo or PSA specifications. Or Ford, any of the firms using this engine with a known problem with turbo feed sludging up.

I don't give a flying phuq whether Mobil oil has been christened by Balinese virgins or not or whether QE II farts it into her porridge in a morning it says on the back of the tub that it is suitable for the whole range of Ford engines. That includes the Ford 1.6 tdci which is actually a Pug 1.6 HDMI engine. I ran a Focus 1.6 tdci on it from 18,000 miles to finally smashing it up in a three car pile up at 150,000 miles, changing the oil every 5000 miles using the Mobil oil blend I quoted earlier, and it ran beautifully. Never any sludging up issues or DPF sooting up issues. If that ain't a good indicator of the right oil to use I don't know what is. I'm on a replacement Focus 1.6 tdci and using the same oil and changing it every 5000 as before and the wagon runs like a hookers backside on a busy night.

An oil and filter drop at 5k and the DV6 will see us all out.....one crisp motor!
I have replaced a turbo on one engine and it had done nearly 18k on original oil, so it was forgiven. On with a new feed pipe minus filter, dropped the sump off to find the pick up strainer fine. 30k later and it went to places unknown.
John :)

Sponsored Links
Back