Car smart charge

Sponsored Links
You mean the bit where big brother can control the output levels to protect the grid?

Stupid to need a separate enclosure for the RCBO to accommodate the extra comms module.

Hated that outside SWA run. The bend looked pants. He made a great thing about using a laser level to get a straight line and then the SWA bend was an eyesore.

Noted the meter and cut out was sealed at the start, not at the end......

Yes. I wonder if the comms module actually fully works.

Those enclosures are big enough as it is.
It’s fine with me that the rcbo is elsewhere.

Are you saying no electrican ever cuts seals?

Yes, but here’s the thing. It has been beaten in to us that we shouldn’t mix different maker’s devices in one CU. This apparently due to “type testing”.
The charger comes with a DP RCBO (did he say it was Schneider?). I would not be happy crowbarring that into another make of CU
- although our friend used a BG box.

Never any seals on the installations I come across - it’s unlucky for him that he found one!;)

BTW. the SIM that goes into the comms module. Who supplies the SIM and pays for that network access. Another levy on the customer’s bill.
Hope I can get a pirate SIM from FleaBay, so my charger delivers full whack all the time!

Sponsored Links
I think it makes some sense that as the use of electric cars increases, there is a way to spread the charging so you don't have 1,000,000 cars all put on full charge at 6:30 pm, however it also needs the owner to agree that he does not need the car in an hours time, so a duel tariff is required, standard where the supply company can select charge rate, and boost where the user can pay extra and over-ride the suppliers selection.

The Tesla with a 7.4 kW, hook-up if nearly depleted needs of 11 hours 45 minutes to recharge, this does not give much leeway, so assuming 9 to 5 job, and 60 miles to work, with no recreational use you have 6:30 to 7:30 so only a 13 hour window, so most one could delay the charge is 1 hour, hardly worth having a electric car if you can't recharge it ready for next day.

Where I use to live, the milkman across the road got a long wheel base electric Kango van to deliver the milk with, standard route so knew it was 68 miles a day, range of Kango was 100 miles on a charge, first year towed back 4 times as battery ran out before he got home, the time delay with tow truck meant he needed to use stand-by petrol pick-up next day, as not put on charge in time. He never uses the heater, he says the energy gauge showed most of the battery used to and from the round, not on the round, if he reduced speed returning home he could make it, but stopped by police for not making normal progress. i.e. driving too slow.

I would imagine the sim network is the same as smart meters.
That would make sense!

There must be some massive company deal with the network operators.

Like 50p month regardless of usage.

Maybe if you remove the sim or put the thing in a metal box you get full power.

Last edited:
I kinda get your point about the rcd.

However if they didn’t supply one, would sparkys fit type A and dual pole? I doubt it! So this ensures they have the right stuff for the job. With no excuses

More important than minor busbar alignment issue in my eyes.

I would guess in a couple of years time they won’t supply Rcd. When stocks run out and type A more common and cheap

I kinda get your point about the rcd.

However if they didn’t supply one, would sparkys fit type A and dual pole? I doubt it! So this ensures they have the right stuff for the job. With no excuses

More important than minor busbar alignment issue in my eyes.

I would guess in a couple of years time they won’t supply Rcd. When stocks run out and type A more common and cheap
I think they should also supply the enclosure, then sure it is type tested.

Are those Tails Single Insulated as if Double I'd expect the outer sheath to be Grey?

Last edited:
Are those Tails Single Insulated as if Double I'd expect the outer sheath to be Grey?
You can get it in Brown and Blue, nowadays, as well as the old grey.
I do believe Red and Black was available but rarely seen.

Bit reckless cutting one swa with a grinder like that especially with no quard.

.... It has been beaten in to us that we shouldn’t mix different maker’s devices in one CU. This apparently due to “type testing”.
Those beatings might stop if you used 16 kA devices - since, as far as I can make out, it's only in that respect that a 'type tested CU' really differs from a non-type-tested DB :)

Kind Regards, John

What a horrible bodge!
That customer will curse the day that was fitted as soon as he wants to change those sofits or replace those windows where the, oh so not neat, cabling is clipped. And what is with putting the head there? - right between where you come into the garage from inside and reach out for your garage light (thinking what the switch is most likely for). I hope the customer requested it there and not told 'best place mate' (via your wall batten).
Ah well, at least this customer can open his door/s whilst plugged in (unlike that last clip of something similar a few months back).

You can get it in Brown and Blue, nowadays, as well as the old grey.
I do believe Red and Black was available but rarely seen.
And Black & Grey.
Bit reckless cutting one swa with a grinder like that especially with no quard.
I cringed when I saw that
No Guard
No gloves
Unstable work piece
And I suspect no goggles

In fact now I think about it the whole instalation is a bit of a mess. I like the way he criticises the messy cables by the CU then adds a messy cable himself.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back