Car smart charge

Those beatings might stop if you used 16 kA devices - since, as far as I can make out, it's only in that respect that a 'type tested CU' really differs from a non-type-tested DB :)
Has anyone asked before?

Do all manufacturers use the same 'type testing' tests.

As usual with our trade - what a silly term is 'type testing'.

Sponsored Links
Has anyone asked before? Do all manufacturers use the same 'type testing' tests.
Dunno - but I imagine that it probably means that they do some 'standard tests' (which I presume involves things like 'fully loading' and measuring temp rise etc.) when populated with their recommended devices.
As usual with our trade - what a silly term is 'type testing'.
Not only uout trade - it happens in most trades and professions ...

How about "form factor" in the IT world?!

Kind Regards, John

Dunno - but I imagine that it probably means that they do some 'standard tests' (which I presume involves things like 'fully loading' and measuring temp rise etc.) when populated with their recommended devices.
Do you think different manufacturers are likely to do the same tests, thus meaning that they are all the same, so the 'type testing' reasons for not mixing MCBs is not valid?
Just asking, not advocating doing it because it doesn't look good.

After all, no one says you shouldn't put a plug into a different make socket because they will not have been tested together.

Do you think different manufacturers are likely to do the same tests, thus meaning that they are all the same, so the 'type testing' reasons for not mixing MCBs is not valid? Just asking, not advocating doing it because it doesn't look good.
I think that the whole business is pretty daft - so long as MCBs of two different makes are mechanically compatible, I would say that it's pretty far-fetched to consider the possibility that they would 'behave' differently in different CUs, or in the company of MCBs of a different (mechanically compatible) make .

As I've said a good few times before, I think the ideal situation would have been for 'standard' MCBs (i.e. other than those which have 'custom' means of installation) all to be required to be designed to be 'mechanically' compatible and designed/tested in a specific fashion, such as to render them interchangeable between CUs without any need for 'type testing'
After all, no one says you shouldn't put a plug into a different make socket because they will not have been tested together.
Exactly - and, per my suggestion above, that's because both plugs and sockets are required to comply with Standards (such as BS1363) designed to ensure than any standard-compliant plug can be safely plugged in to any standard-compliant socket.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
Do you think different manufacturers are likely to do the same tests, thus meaning that they are all the same, so the 'type testing' reasons for not mixing MCBs is not valid?
Just asking, not advocating doing it because it doesn't look good.

My gripe with this is lack of availability of spares. My local 'Churh Hall' has a row of 3 similar 6way boards and I'm trying to upgrade/add circuits. I've found the Proteus is nearly a perfect fit, other than it's slightly short meaning a tiny gap between the MCB and the bussbar cover of 1mm or less. My plan is to replace all the MCB's & RCB in one board so there is no arguement about compatibility on the bar.

The problem is the bus bar.

Crabtree have 2 different methods themselves.

Wylex have at least 2 methods

There are reasons for this. Some have a fixed number of mcbs per rcd.
And some you can reconfigure.

It would be good to have a new standard fir rcbo’s.

Where the LNE to be supplied to the device automatically.

Use din rail for functional earth.

And Black & Grey.

I cringed when I saw that
No Guard
No gloves
Unstable work piece
And I suspect no goggles

In fact now I think about it the whole instalation is a bit of a mess. I like the way he criticises the messy cables by the CU then adds a messy cable himself.
I also thought the henleys were unneccesary, surely he could have put an Mcb in the existing board, obviously not the Rcbo
Thinking about it, it may have been a Dual rcd board or something

Last edited:
Annoying is was the correct brand!

Was the old one plastic, so not suitable for swa termination.

I also thought the henleys were unneccesary, surely he could have put an Mcb in the existing board, obviously not the Rcbo
Thinking about it, it may have been a Dual rcd board or something
Quite right it is a dual RCD plus some non RCD and adding another MCB would not have been TOO difficult.
Absolutely another botch it and scarper merchant IMO.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back