Car Tax

• Thread starter david and julie
  • Start date
D

david and julie

I have just replaced my car, old one has 9 months tax so I am sending for a refund. They only do full months so you get from 1st Oct back.

Whilst at the post office I am taxing the new car. They only do full months, so you get from 1st Sept.

You can't transfer your car tax. So you loose a month.

Considering the ammount of cars that change hands mid month this must be a fair old racket for the Gov. Do they ever loose?

Sponsored Links
I think they should scrap road tax and put it on petrol/diesel within reason, the more you drive the more you pay. Rep driver and HGV or high mileage driver, working for company maybe claim some of it back through the tax allowance system.
I read somewhere there's over 260,000 without road tax last year.

Yeah, and 260K despite the DVLA's wonderful trace and fine system. Ha, ha.

but to be fair how many cars were scrapped or changed without
relivant "off road" or "scrapped"decleration being filled in

big all

Sponsored Links
Let's not be fair - this is the gvt we're talking about......!!!

ok the point im making

your car is not on the road you dont have to pay road tax
you just have to declair it off road[at no cost]
so these people are not fiddling the system
they just havent done the paperwork

so perhaps two thirds are breaking the law
who knows

i personaly think the road tax should be scraped
and put on the price of fuel

big all

In New Zealand they put Third Party motor insurance on the fuel too. I reckon we should have that too, greatly reduces the number of hit and runs because EVERYONE is insured, because you can't run a car without petrol. Because of this, NZ law does not allow sueing for personal injury apart from in certain circumstances.

On top of this, they also charge extra "per kilometre" road tax for diesels, that'll teach 'em ;)

They have the same insurance system in South Africa, but that is in difficulties because claims exceed revenue. From what I have heard of NZ, everything is very calm out there so people probably have very few accidents.

The only possible reason we don't do anything similar is the tax take.

We have fuel duty and vat, insurance tax and road tax. That is 3 or 4 possible tax hikes whenever the gov wants.

High tax Gov's, like we have always had, would never relinquish any potential revenue streams.

A cynic may also wonder, if the gov, underwriting insurance, may have a detrimental effect on our Lloyds names, in both houses.

Sponsored Links
Back