CARAVAN TOURERS AND CARAVAN PARKS

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

I wondered if you could help me, apart from the regs does anyone have any details on installation rules and wiring for caravan tourers and parks?

thanks

Sponsored Links
Still the regs, but make sure you read section 608...

Not my area of expertese by a long shot, but DP circuit breakers and lots of RCDs seem to come to mind.

thanks guys aswell as the protection side of things it was also if there were any specific rules about wether you can run a ring or not has it got to be in flex etc etc in tourers those kind of things, you know how picky it can get, i saw one today that had some flex running to one socket, and flex running to another socket both coming from one 10A MCB both radials in 1.5 flex. however i suppose the 1.5 is fine as the 10A MCB is protecting from over current

thanks

Sponsored Links
iirc a TN-CS earth isn't allowed to be connected to a caravan either.

Booyaka said:
if there were any specific rules about wether you can run a ring or not has it got to be in flex etc etc in tourers those kind of things, you know how picky it can get, i saw one today that had some flex running to one socket, and flex running to another socket both coming from one 10A MCB both radials in 1.5 flex. however i suppose the 1.5 is fine as the 10A MCB is protecting from over current

Most pitches for touring caravans have a bollard with a max 16A supply (although some are only 6A or 10A). The caravan has a lead suitable for 16A that plugs into the bollard at one end and the caravan at the other. Inside the caravan is an an RCD and then usually one 10A MCB (for the sockets) and one 6A MCB (used either for lights or one socket). Ring circuits are for larger circuits usually with 32A protection. There would be little point in installing a ring in a tourer when the maximum supply feeding the sockets is 10A.

Some tourers incorporate a lamp to indicate the reversal of Live & Neutral. This can occur on the continent when using an adaptor for UK caravans as some continental plugs can be plugged in either way around.

I only have limited knowledge of static caravans but as they don't have a removable lead, they can have a higher rated permanent supply similar to a house, and may have ring circuits, water heaters, showers and full size cookers.

The caravans I have seen use twin and earth installed in conduit or trunking for extra protection.

The major concerns are

[1] failure of the earth lead in the cable
[2] reversal of the live and neutral
[3] bonding of all external metal parts of the caravan
[4] vibration during travel causing abrasion of cables

(edit, added vibration )

Mant thanks guys, i take it thats why the sockets are fed by 1.5 flex as they are both protected by a 10A MCB, well if i wanted to extend the sockets i may aswell spur off each one and as long as they are not all used at the same time then im sure it will be ok as they are all protected by 10A. it seems pointless putting more in but its for convenience and not for more load

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back