Carbon monoxide alarm from gas fire

Sponsored Links
Surely an oxypilot is a go-nogo device and should have tripped the fire if there was insufficient combustion oxygen to guarantee the co/co2 ratio was acceptable. If that isn't the case then exactly what purpose are they meant to serve.

Sponsored Links
They have lost confidence in the original fitter, with good reason IMO. They called british gas first intending to get a service engineer out but British gas told them to call the national grid emergency line to get a free check.

Ok. Thanks for clearing that up. Was curious and you have answered with fair reasoning

danlightbulb any chance of the name of the fire or better still the G.C number , it will be on the manual where you read this part had to be changed at a service because I'm really curious .you would be surprised how many customers don't keep their manufactures instruction , i reckon about 95% don't keep them .

@FiremanT if you could confirm this it would be great and if other makes do it as well ? (y) .

When I go round my parents on Sunday I'll get the details and snap a photo of the page where it says it as well. They have the new engineer coming Sunday afternoon too so I'll hopefully be able to post what was wrong with the fire.

Quite surprised so many dont know about this oxy pilot get out from manufacturers the BFM group have had this policy for around ten years valor have jumped on the band wagon as its an excellent way to get out of warranty .
You must provide an actual invoice for the part when they attend otherwise they will void it on turning up .
Oxypilots are around £35 /£40 so for a 7 year warranty to stay in effect you need to be spending over £200 on a totally unnecessary part .
Will it be an actual fault with the fire that caused the CO alarm to go off i very much doubt it.
Not as daft a question as it may sound but was the fire actually on when alarm went off.
And to one of question yes grid sniffers registers gas /oxygen and CO all at same .

on a totally unnecessary part .

a calibrated flame ( from an accurately sized pilot jet ) heating a thermocouple to prove there is a flame burning the gas is not a "totally unnecessary part"

The oxygen content of the combustion air affects the size of the flame. If the oxygen content is too low then the pilot flame is less effective at heating the thermo-couple and the output from the thermo-couple is then too low to hold the gas valve open.

Simple device but needs to be maintained to ensure the size of the pilot flame is correct. Regular replacement seems a sensible way to ensure this safety device will work correctly.

I fitted a fire for parents with 7 year warranty as long as oxy pilot was changed every year, the part was £80 to buy, so the guy who did the service and charged you for A
new oxy pilot
B fitting it
C the price of the service you could have ended up with a £200 bill and you would have been moaning more.
why does an oxy pilot need changing every year ???? just proves warranties are not worth the salt

please amuse me and tell me how you would maintain an oxypliot to ensure correct pilot flame ?

On some industrial heating equipment you do not maintain it, hence you REPLACE it as part of a routine maintainance program.

I would image that on a domestic fire any attempt to clean the pilot jet would ( could ) result in the pilot jet becoming out of specification ( size and shape ) and hence the oxygen content "measurement" would no longer be "accurate".

inverted commas as the method is a bit hit and miss

so basically you couldnt find it on google

Didn't need to google. A calibrated flame that only provides the required heat to a thermo-couple if the oxygen content is adequate for proper combustion is the hit and miss part of the device.

It is not a measurement, it is a go -no go device.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back