Carbon Monoxide Alarm

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I bought one of these for my daughter, and it's gone off twice now, both times 30/40 minutes after the boiler had gone off. I have had the boiler checked by a gas engineer who said there was no problem with it.

Sounds like a faulty alarm, but if the boiler is off there shouldn't be any escape of CO2 anyway should there?

Sponsored Links
I think you mean CO, CO2 is not the poisonous gas you get from incomplete combustion. Tell her to stop using it and get it checked again - and any other appliances. DO NOT assume its a faulty detector.
And what boiler does she have

The boiler is a Vaillant combi installed in a bedroom cupboard and has an vertical flu.

Alarm went off when boiler wasn't on, so is it possible to fumes to escape when boiler is off?

Cheers

It may have leaked fumes when on and they only reached the cod after it turned off. Of course the CO might be coming from another source.
It is possible that it's a faulty unit but do you want to gamble with your daughter's life?

Sponsored Links
get a Registered Gas Engineer to carry out an Ambient Room CO Check, this will measure the buildup within the room over a 30 minuite period, with appliances on , & off, CO could be entering from many sources even traffic fumes etc, an engineer with ACS CPA1 will know what to do ;)

What other gas appliances are there? does she keep any windows open or are there any vents in the room where the alarm is located?

Thanks for the advice. She keeps the window open a little and there is also an air vent in the room. No other gas appliances except hob in kitchen

Thanks for the advice. She keeps the window open a little and there is also an air vent in the room. No other gas appliances except hob in kitchen
This implies she will carry on using it, you've been advised to tell her not to (until it's checked again) which, if, god forbid, your daughter is overcome by CO, you would be entirely responsible.

Get a second alarm and run them in tandem, if both go off time for a serious investigation.

This implies she will carry on using it, you've been advised to tell her not to (until it's checked again) which, if, god forbid, your daughter is overcome by CO, you would be entirely responsible.

You have already asked me one stupid question about whether I want to gamble with my daughters life or not, now you are telling me that I'm going to be responsible for anything that happens to her. Could I respectfully ask you to stay off the thread because you are starting to **** me off. Cheers.

I have arranged for my own engineer to carry out an ambient room check to give us all some peace of mind, which will also hopefully stop the neglectful father accusations

I didn't make my comments to pi55 you off, I done it to make sure your daughter was safe and the boiler was checked out thoroughly.
Sorry for any distress caused, but my intensions were only good.

I have arranged for my own engineer to carry out an ambient room check to give us all some peace of mind

what was the check result?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back