Carbon Monoxide Detectors

W

walkman

Doing a bit of work on an old 2-storey house. Theres no detectors at all so obviously i am going to install them. Just wondering what the sensible amount to put in would be? The house has a fireplace in one room downstairs and in 2 out of 5 upstairs. Would one on each floor be enough?

Sponsored Links
I meant CO not smoke alarms. Theres already smoke detectors on both floors so I assume that will be enough sd's. Ill check that link. Cheers.

Somewhere in there is sayeth:

BS EN 50292 the code of practice for the selection, installation,
use and maintenance of domestic CO alarms, recommends
the following location for CO Alarms:
• Install a CO Alarm in all rooms where there is a fuel burning
appliance
• If there is more than one appliance, but only one CO Alarm
is to be installed, the following priority list is recommended:
1. Rooms containing a flue-less or open-flued appliance
2. Rooms where occupants spend most time
3. Rooms in which the appliance is most used
4. If the dwelling is a bedsit the CO alarm should be
positioned away from the appliance, but close to the
sleeping area

CO Alarms should not be located:
• In an enclosed space e.g a cupboard
• Where it can be obstructed
• Directly above a sink
• Next to a door or window
• Next to an extractor fan or vent
• Where dirt & dust may block the sensor
• In a damp or humid location
• In the immediate vicinity of a cooking appliance

Sponsored Links
That's fine thanks. I will put them in each room that has a fire then as well to be sure. Cheers.

• Install a CO Alarm in all rooms where there is a fuel burning
appliance
CO Alarms should not be located:
• In an enclosed space e.g a cupboard
• Where it can be obstructed
• Directly above a sink
• Next to a door or window
• Next to an extractor fan or vent
• Where dirt & dust may block the sensor
• In a damp or humid location
• In the immediate vicinity of a cooking appliance
Great.

I have 2 fuel burning appliances in my house - a boiler and a cooker.

Both are in the same room, which is sometimes humid and has very little (if any) space which is not above a sink or near a door or window or near to an extractor vent or in the immediate vicinity of a cooking appliance.....

Just found out the rooms where the fireplaces are, the fires ain't gonna be in use and the chimneys are going to be capped off. So there is no immediate need for them. Should I still add one in these rooms incase future occupants decided to remove the caps in the chimney or would that be up to them to get someone to add them? Just thought I'd ask now before i start wiring as I ain't too sure.

Does anybody have a CO detector in their kitchen? I do but have red that you shouldn't have them in a kitchen?

Does anybody have a CO detector in their kitchen? I do but have red that you shouldn't have them in a kitchen?
Why not?

Most fuel burning appliances are in the kitchen. If the level of CO gets to a dangerous level, its going to be there first. You want early warning, not when it has already spread to the rest of the house and the dog's already dead.

I read one should be fitted in every room containing a fuel burning appliance (gas fire in lounges)

I'd be interested to see the results of a "flueless" gas fire and a CO detector in the same room. Do they still sell those ghastly contraptions? Then again, I suppose a flueless gas fire is no worse than a fluless gas hob. Similar KW etc.

I'd be interested to see the results of a "flueless" gas fire and a CO detector in the same room. Do they still sell those ghastly contraptions? Then again, I suppose a flueless gas fire is no worse than a fluless gas hob. Similar KW etc.

Except that one of them is in your living room, running for long periods of time, potentially unattended, while the other is generally used for a short time and under constant, conscious supervision.

Except that one of them is in your living room, running for long periods of time, potentially unattended.
True. There is no "safe" amount of CO in a confined space, surely?

Except that one of them is in your living room, running for long periods of time, potentially unattended.
True. There is no "safe" amount of CO in a confined space, surely?

I think we can all agree that any amount of CO, other than that which is naturally occurring, is not a particularly good idea. However, in urban areas with heavy traffic, it's apparently possible for levels outside to reach as high as 50ppm. It all depends on CO levels AND exposure time.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back