Carbon Monoxide leaking for years in kitchen

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I wonder if anyone can help us?

We had a British Gas engineer round for a firt service of our 29 year old Potterton Netaheat boiler. After cleaning around inside and pronuncing everything looks ok he put it back together, fired it up, and did his CM testing. Discovered around 70ppm at the top of the boiler at the back and 30ppm in kitchen generally.

Told me it was leaking because it was coming away slightly (but visibly) from the wall at the top. Was leaking where it joins the flue. Needed new rawl plugs and screws to tighten it to the wall. He coulldnt do anything further and capped it off (helpfully).

This morning a corgi (gas safe or whatever) bloke came, replaced the plugs screwed it in but said there was still a gap. Would be about 2 grand for a new boiler which I don't have.

He did say there was some kind of "ceremac" sealnt (mastic?) I could buy to seal it up but he couldn't do it because he "couldbn't put his name to a job like that".
As a temproray, fix could I not install CM detector with digital reading and then attempt to close this gap with something? But with what? Perhaps "closure plate tape" ? Or would I need something like silicoln sealent (if u can get it fire resistant) ?

THanks in advance for any help on this.

A cold family with no hot water (thermostat doesn't work) or central heating.

Sponsored Links
CO is lethal stuff, I would suggest, for the sake of you and your family, get the boiler replaced.
It is definitely a bad idea to try a bodge a flue repair, I'm amazed a gas safe engineer even suggested it.

Couldn't I use fire cement around the gap? And regarding safety, wouldn't one or two CO detectors be good enough?

Your boiler is ancient. It deserves to go to the knacker's yard.

As regards continuing to use it,that is a matter for you. You won't get anyone responsible on here telling you it's ok to do so,I'm afraid.

Sponsored Links
flutterbye you must be mad. Why would you risk killing yourself and others for the sake of a couple of thousand pounds? Do what you have to do - get a bank loan , credit card get yourself in hock - but you'll be alive without the death or serious injury of family and friends haunting you.

Do not attempt to bodge a repair and don't let anyone else - its not worth it

You need a new boiler. End Of.

29 years old FFS.

Glad i'm not a member of your family. You have been told that you have poisonous gas leaking into your property yet you come on here seeking advise on how to bodge it up. SHAME ON YOU!!!!

Its not a wind up. From the strong "advice" given here and other advice I will get a new boiler. But, I still want something temporarily in place so I can get the boiler scrappage discount.

I'm sure that your years of gas safe training and work tell you over and over not to take any risks. I don't understand technically how continuing for a couple of weeks more a situation that has been present for years is so dangerous given that the situation can't be made worse by a temporary "bodge" job and 2 CO detetectors.

Your boiler has been capped because it is dangerous and shouldn't be used in this condition.

Follow the advice you have already been given.

No one on here, I hope, should give you gas safety advice, especially how to bodge a dangerous boiler.

Wind up alert :!:

I asked the mods to close or delete this thread as it was asking for dangerous advice. Having now read the responses, mods, now will you deal with it before someone gives potentially lethal advice

Its not a wind up. From the strong "advice" given here and other advice I will get a new boiler. But, I still want something temporarily in place so I can get the boiler scrappage discount.

I'm sure that your years of gas safe training and work tell you over and over not to take any risks. I don't understand technically how continuing for a couple of weeks more a situation that has been present for years is so dangerous given that the situation can't be made worse by a temporary "bodge" job and 2 CO detetectors.

there is no such thing as a temp gas repair, you either fix something properly or you risk killing your family, mmmmm let me have a think about what i should do, the fact it was there for a while doesnt matter consider yourself very lucky, if a mechanic told you your were lucky to be alive cause your brakes were so bad would you ask him to put some paste on them so they would last another few weeks/months then take your family down the motorway in the snow

We now know what the effects of long term exposure to low levels of Carbon Monoxide are.... Let that be a warning to us all.. :eek:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back