Carpet Fitter Marked Wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So the day finally comes when we get our new carpet in a room which has took a lot of hard work.

Carpet looks great ... But unfortunately the fitter has caught the wall. Stands out like a sore thumb.

What should I do? Planning to ring up tomorrow to complain, and I haven't paid yet.

Really annoying because I have done the whole room myself, start to finish and now I have to repaint a wall.

IMAG1344.jpg
IMAG1341.jpg

Sponsored Links
You say it was the Fitter, so I assume there was only one fitter, had there been two, I would definitely complain,

however if he was on his own struggling to get a roll of carpet into an awkward room accidents are going to happen, the wall is not damaged just marked, depending on surface the mark might even wipe off with damp cloth or just touched in using original paint.

You say it was the Fitter, so I assume there was only one fitter, had there been two, I would definitely complain,

however if he was on his own struggling to get a roll of carpet into an awkward room accidents are going to happen, the wall is not damaged just marked, depending on surface, the mark might even wipe off with damp cloth or just touched in using original paint.

Theres always the argument that if you were worried about the walls being marked , you should have left the decorating until after the carpets were laid.

So the fact there was one fitter makes it acceptable? I offered to help and my brother who stayed at the house was also there to help if required.

The wall is marked yes, but it's Matt paint and there is no way that mark will come out. So I will have to paint it again. Unless anyone has any ideas? The are also 2 marks 12inches long on the opposite wall

I expect the skirting to get knocks, however that is fine.

Surely having £100's worth of carpet fitted and then decorating is more dangerous than employing a trained fitter to fit a carpet without scraping the walls?

Sponsored Links
So the fact there was one fitter makes it acceptable? I offered to help and my brother who stayed at the house was also there to help if required.

The wall is marked yes, but it's Matt paint and there is no way that mark will come out. So I will have to paint it again. Unless anyone has any ideas? The are also 2 marks 12inches long on the opposite wall

I expect the skirting to get knocks, however that is fine.

Surely having £100's worth of carpet fitted and then decorating is more dangerous than employing a trained fitter to fit a carpet without scraping the walls?
Skirtings should not be damaged if he used the correct tool [stainless steel].

Appreciate your point Freddy.

It's more the inconvenience, I need some sheeting to protect the carpet, new roller sleeve , so a trip to wickes. Also assuming one coat covers it

FFS if you can't touch a wall in without covering everything up then you should, don't be decorating in the first place.

The fitter will refuse your offer for help as you will not be covered on his PLI.

It's a mark! It's easily treatable! Relax and stop jumping on the blame/compensation band wagon. If you thought there would be a chance of marks then you should have provided reasonable access and surface protection. You have a liability as well. You would be wise to remember this as H&S now falls at the feet of whoever instructed the job.

:idea: Ooh, here's a thought, maybe we should fit dust sheets to our walls prior to having a carpet fitted to allow for careless fitters? :D

Much as I feel your pain, and you have every reason to be annoyed, I fear that by the time you've escalated this to the point where they will do something about it, you'll have spent more time than just repainting it yourself...

5 minutes with a paintbrush will probably fix that. No need for rollers, sheeting or anything other than a brush and the paint.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back