Carpet

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Right, I've just built a hearth for my cast iron fireplace (and very nice it is too). The trouble is, the hearth is much bigger than the old one, therefore I had to cut the carpet back.

There is enough carpet flopping over the top of the hearth to get it trimmed and looking nice, but I don't want to pay someone for this, as I reckon if I can fit a fireplace and repair a chimney breast, a bit of carpet shouldn't be too difficult.

So, where do I start? Grip rods I presume, the underlay is aplenty, whats the method? What are those big heavy handle stretching things used for that I've seen carpet fitters use?

It doesn't have to be perfect. Just acceptable at first glance.

Sponsored Links
do you mean
images
one of these?
its calleda knee kicker

you put down the carpet gripper, s the hooks face away from you, lay underlay so it sits just before carpet gripper, trim carpet to edge of carpet gripper, put knee kicker down and knee it.

the knee kicker has 100s of tiny hooks, these grab the carpet, as you knee the kicker it strethces the carpet over the gripper and job done (almost) when you have done a big piece you then push carpet down with a special tool that looks like a blunt bolster chiesel

or at least its done similar to that, i suggest you try it first

ahhh so thats how its done.

The difficult bit of laying a carpet I imagine is cutting it to fit the room. Well thats done, so this looks dead easy.

I wonder if I can hire one of those knee kicker things.

Tom. said:
I wonder if I can hire one of those knee kicker things.

yes, there is a little wheel on the back of the "head" it hires and lowers the teeth.

seriously , what i said is true, an yes you can also hire them

Sponsored Links
don't know if this is any use to you but i've used an ordinary flat scraper to push a whole section of a carpet down before - you can't whack it with real force or you'll damage the carpet but kicking/dragging the carpet towards/over the grippers and using the scraper worked for me and you canna tell which part of the room i did.... well actually you can if you walk around enough because i left a piece of plaster under the underlay :oops:

just an idea...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back