Carport building regulation part B

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I was wondering if anyone could help me ? I have a car port and a porch which leads to the main door would the carport require a fire door to be put in to stop fire spreading? onto the porch and to front door. Does carport roof require any insulation this for building regulation drawings. Please see the image below for a better understanding.

952EFEF0-E3E4-49B2-B2E3-B9210767C9C4.jpeg

Sponsored Links
It doesn't look like a car port to me because it appears to be enclosed on three sides.

isnt the wording something like "substantially open on at least two sides" or words to that effect to be classified as a car port
and another thought is it a roof or a room above as its not clear in the plan
:unsure:

Sponsored Links
Why would you insulate a space that's open to the elements? Its all open on the left hand side presumably? Where do you think a fire door might be needed?
I dont think it was be seen as carport as its not open at at least two side. I will assume it a garage. Would you put a fire door where i circles on the image below as it attached to the main house be porch way

Attachments

• 864FA8C9-AC44-4FCD-9E2E-3032134EE948.jpeg
    864FA8C9-AC44-4FCD-9E2E-3032134EE948.jpeg
    84.1 KB · Views: 41
isnt the wording something like "substantially open on at least two sides" or words to that effect to be classified as a car port
and another thought is it a roof or a room above as its not clear in the plan
:unsure:

I dont think it was be seen as carport as its not open at at least two side. I will assume it a garage. Would you put a fire door where i circles on the image below as it attached to the main house be porch way

Attachments

• 5184F553-B07B-4081-8C1C-4F2C39685226.jpeg
    5184F553-B07B-4081-8C1C-4F2C39685226.jpeg
    84.1 KB · Views: 31
Is the porch open at the front? From inside the house is there a means of escape other than the front door if there was a fire in the garage? Is this built or going to be built? Are you involving Building Control?
Yes the porch is open at the front .I believe for building regulation you will need to close the garage with FD leading on to the porch as front is mean of escape. Or could they just enclose the porch as it mean of escape. This is for building regulation

Yes the porch is open at the front .I believe for building regulation you will need to close the garage with FD leading on to the porch as front is mean of escape. Or could they just enclose the porch as it mean of escape. This is for building regulation
The garage is going to be built

Then you will need BRs.

You might find it simpler to omit the door from the garage.

What i am trying to say as the porch attachs the garage to the main house and the porch is the mean of escape from the main house.I assume for building regulation we would have to add fd where I circled and enclosed the garage if car set on fire and spread to porch this would blocks the mean of escape. So the garage how it is cant just be open

Attachments

• C335A961-27FF-40C5-9317-2DC21C73DEC2.jpeg
    C335A961-27FF-40C5-9317-2DC21C73DEC2.jpeg
    84.1 KB · Views: 37
The porch isn't enclosed and the floor is raised off the ground and the "car port" is open at the front so I would have the thought the risk is no worse than if you just parked your car on the drive outside your front door.

This is not the same as a fully enclosed integral garage or attached garage with a door opening directly in to the house.

I'd say no fire door required.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back