Cascamite - still the best exterior adhesive?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm helping someone to restore an elderly sailing dinghy, and I need to stick 5mm marine ply onto 50 x 20 softwood - assisted by brass panel pins.
Is Cascamite still the glue of choice? Any comments appreciated!
John

Sponsored Links
I have been using lumberjacks recently for bonding wood together
there is a 30min and a 5min version.

Sponsored Links
Another interesting product I've never heard of before. Thanks for that! :cool: seems I should be chatting to some boat builders, if I could find one.
John :)

I would use West Systems 2 part epoxy.
It soaks well into the grain .. immensely strong & 100% waterproof - it is what boatbuilders use.

Cheers for that, Rick - for sure it's a bit of an adhesive nightmare, this one!
I'll need around 20 minutes to work the upper deck pieces in, so I'll find out how long I've got before the stuff goes off.
Thanks again!
John :)

I would use West Systems 2 part epoxy.
It soaks well into the grain .. immensely strong & 100% waterproof - it is what boatbuilders use.
It is the dogs dangly bits, not cheap though, we used it to lay a teak deck on a narrowboat about 5 years ago and it's still all going strong now.
I'm not a big fan of PU glues especially in joints without any inherent strength of their own.
If you glue two pieces of wood together with PU glue and then split the joint, it will always split easily without any damage to each piece, whereas try that with PVA, cascamite, or epoxy and inevitably there will be split damage to the pieces of wood indicating a far superior bond.
With the epoxy just work in stages as you can, spend a little bit extra and get the pump tops it keeps the whole process so much cleaner

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back