Cast iron fire surround

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have a surround (just the surround) that we are putting into one of the rooms at some point, but I have notice it is bent out of shape slightly, and so wont go flush to wall and I mean close to an inch plus out.

I can put it on the wall and plaster board upto it as an option, or somehow weldding screw clips so I can pull it it in. But wondered if there was any other way - would lying flat and weighting it down for a few weeks do it?? :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
Depending on where the bend is you could possible bend it back into shape. Clamp one part of it to something solid and the other part to a long lever and then bend it far enough that when you let go it springs back into the right position.

Don't try hitting it with a hammer as it will crack and laying it flat and weighting it won't work. You need to permanently bend it which means taking the material past the point you want it to end up so that it springs back to the right point.

Cheers Lower - makes sense, I will see if that works if not the welding some lugs on might be the answer

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back