CAT5 in 50mm twinwall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have buried approx. 30m of 50mm twin-wall in the garden.
I intend to pull 4 x cat5 cables through it down to the garage.

What I'd like to know is how to get the cat5 into the house without it being exposed to the weather / sunlight.

Obvious options are:
a) 50mm hole in the house, shove polypipe through and clip it to the wall somehow.
b) use some pipe (maybe down pipe) with a 90 degree bend on the end. might be a bit neater.
c) a "hockeystick" as used by mains electric
d) is there some product made for the job?

any advice welcome.

Sponsored Links
Cheers.
I guess you can get that in white or grey to make it a little more subtle than the black. (house is currently beige)

Sponsored Links
Can you get under the floor in the house, and bring the ducting in through the house wall underground?

ban-all-sheds thanks.
Simon, unfortunately not. could have done before they built the extension. but didnt think of it at that time.
i think the pipe solution will be OK.. (untill the misses sees it!) :)

Use duct grade cable.
Use cattle guard/cable guard/capping from duct, up wall.

Build a cover over the cables in WPB, render and/or paint it to match the walls.

Get the proper cable for the job - it's got a polypropylene (IIRC) sheath and supposedly isn't affected by UV etc. It's somewhat stiffer than regular Cat5e in PVC sheath. It's also suitable for the wet environment that will exist inside that ducting.

thanks all. ill be going with the outdoor cable and some 40mm pipe to protect it between ground and entering the wall.
cheers.

Just as an installation tip, don't try pulling the cable through everything at once. It may need some thought as to arrangement at the ends, but pull the cable through the buried duct first leaving yourself adequate length at each end, then thread the pipework onto the cable before passing the ends through the wall.
You probably want to put a bit of the 40mm pipe (or a smaller size) through the wall to protect the cables. So you'll thread the external pipe (and elbow ?) onto the cables, pass the ends through the pipe in the wall, then assemble the external pipe. Depending on arrange,ent, you might need to push the pipe in through the wall a bit further than you need, offer the vertical pipe into the ducting, then push the through-wall pipe back out to mate with the elbow.

Also, it's tempting to pull in another draw-wire (or rope) with your bunch of cables. In practice, what happens is the cables twist as you pull them in, so the new draw-wire is wrapped round them. If you try to use it later, it'll tighten round the already installed cables and try to pull them out. You might get away with it if you lay out the cables across the garden first, make due there's no twist left in them, and do your best to avoid them twisting - plus "push" them in at one end to minimise tension in everything during the drawing in stage.

Hi, thanks for the tips.
I had kind of planned to pull through in sections as you say.

I was going to pull extra drawstrings through. Ill probably lay them out up the garden as you suggest and be aware that they may be twisted when in 10 years I want to pull another cable through. (I wont remember!)

Would thicker or different drawstring material make a difference with twisting?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back