cats and gloss paint

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Decided to paint my gloss in the living room yesterday. Nice day, sun shining, feeling good, music on, painting away on the window sill quite happily :cool: and then..........THE DAMN CAT SHOT INTO THE HOUSE, JUMPED ON THE WINDOW SILL, JUMPED OFF AGAIN AND PADDLED WHITE GLOSS ALL OVER MY BRAND NEW (well, 8 months old) CARPET!!!!!! :evil: I shrieked, cat ran and hid under the garden shed and I was left with a trail of very neat pawprints.....rather like that Felix logo. Insurance company wanted £50 up front just to come and look at it - that;s FORTIS by the way - and I just gave up. Today I found this site and will try the advice given on shifting paint from carpets. Anyone know how to shift paint off cat????? :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
Too late for you, I fear... but paint is always much easier to get off before it's dry. A rag moistened with white spirit or paint brush cleaner would probably have done it... but not wet enough to soak into the carpet, especially if it'd rubber-backed.

Now it's dry, you might find you can cut off the top of the carpet pile, e.g. nail scissors or electric shaver, if the paint is mostly on the tips of the fibres.

Don't do anything to the poor cat, not her fault, the paint will wear off her pads quite soon. Any solvent cleaner might poison her (or him).

Cats!
All the time you're installing an unfinished floor they keep their distance (noise etc) until the very moment you have just finished applying the finish layer (fortunately for us most of the time oil) Then they think it's time to investigate!!!!!

i remember when we were having our extentsion built we had to be carefull not to trap the cat under the floor.

Sponsored Links
paulette58

lol..lol..lol

Poor old puss ... :) :)

WoodYouLike
nosey lil devils , but I love them ....;)

JohnD
very good advice regarding the shaver , I wonder if a hot air gun run over dried paint would help ,an then area rubbed with stiff brush ?????????,maybe NO but worth a try :)

plugwash
cats always like to have a look behind baths for some reason ,I have found when working in bathrooms ..lol :)

depending on the type of carpet, sandpaper can actually work quite well

lol the way you explained it like that paulette58 had me howling :D. Yea, cats can be a nuisance when they want to come and admire our DIY work... Well at least they pay a keen interest in what we do :).

My cat ran into a load of masonry paint, but luckily, waterbased paints are a dream to remove from fabrics. However, a friend of mine came over a few weeks ago and walked where I had painted (even after I told him the area was wet!!) which was gloss and he got a few small footprints on our carpet. I just got white spirit about 30 mins later and the stains have now faded.

Anyone know how to shift paint off cat????? :rolleyes:
Use a Stanley knife. ;)

Hey I thought that was for trimming their claws lol? :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back