cause for concern?

jlk

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all this is my first post but i have been a long time lurker. I was wondering if i have a big problem on my hands as illustrated in the photos. my wall had a crack in it when i moved into a 4 year old semi 2 years ago which i plastered up. The crack has reapeared so i decided to have a look at the blocks underneith as shown. The crack runs all the way up the wall to the loft. Without calling out a builder can you see if this is cause for concern?

Ps the external brick shows no problems.

Thanks Jon

wall3.JPG

wall2.JPG

wall1.JPG

Sponsored Links
I would'nt lose any sleep over it, all new houses get a few cracks in the first few years besides, if you had plasterboard on dabs on the walls you'd never have spotted it.

Just looks like settlement to me.
A lot of new builds do this.
I would not worry about it.

Agree. As a surveyor I've seen dozens of cracks just like this one in lofts. I've also seen them in new builds before the plasterboard is dabbed on. As long as it does not widen further it's no problem.

Sponsored Links
So is that a ground or 1st floor room? Such cracks are common & I’ve seen & dealt with a lot worse than that. Don’t know for sure but, probably, the mistake you made was just re-plastering without any remedial work on the crack itself & that doesn’t just mean sticking some reinforcing tape over the plaster. To make an effective repair, it must be stripped right back to the blocks & reinforced with steel mesh covering 150-200mm either side of the crack, re-rendered & then re-plastered. Even this won’t guarantee a 100% success rate but mine is pretty close not to matter; if it cracks again there may well be other probs.

thermalite blocks do tend to crack a lot, it is not uncommon to find 2-3 cracks in a house wall, nothing to worry about, they occur under windows a lot to

I'd be concerned. :eek:

That reddish mortar clashes with the subtle grey of the block and would not look good as a fashion shoot backdrop. :rolleyes: :LOL:

Thanks for your help guys, i will monitor the crack and repair if needed phew
! Jon

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back