Cause of damage to combi boiler pump

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I recently had the water pump in my combi boiler replaced. Once the pump was removed and I saw that there appeared be a layer of rust like crust covering some of the surface I was curious what it was and how it formed.
PHOTO_20200521_082937.jpg PHOTO_20200521_083022.jpg PHOTO_20200521_083001.jpg

My current theory is that it had formed a slow leak and and over time it had left a sediment of copper from the pipes. Before the pump broke entirely I had been getting drops in pressure and was wondering if that was the cause.

Does my theory make sense and is this a common issue with a pump after 8 years of use?

Sponsored Links
As above and I hope the expansion vessel has been checked/charged by the person who for the new pump

The staining will be from rust, which forms in the iron parts of the system, like radiators. The magnetic field around the pump will temd to attract this, and it would have worn the pump bearings before causing it to slow down, then seize. The stalled rotor then gets causes the induction coil to get hotter than normal and burns out.
Consider installing a magnetic filter just before the boiler, and treating your system water to a cleaning flush and corrosion inhibitor.

Sponsored Links
As you have been already advised the auto air vent has been letting by and the water has got into the pump

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back