Cautious About Cutting Cast Iron Downpipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to install a Water butt by our downpipe. It's 68mm cast iron all the way to to the roof and I have PVC pipe to replace the bottom 2m or so. I'm cautious about cutting the pipe to install a rain water diverter because I don't know how much weight the two brackets below the cut (close to the ground see photo) are supporting of the pipe above.
What should I do?
Screenshot 2024-04-30 at 14.14.35.png
Screenshot 2024-04-30 at 14.08.20.png

Sponsored Links
Not a good idea if any of the brackets are rotten it will stress the rest of the cast and the lot could come down. The plastic pipe will not slip into the cast either.

I want to install a Water butt by our downpipe. It's 68mm cast iron all the way to to the roof and I have PVC pipe to replace the bottom 2m or so. I'm cautious about cutting the pipe to install a rain water diverter because I don't know how much weight the two brackets below the cut (close to the ground see photo) are supporting of the pipe above.
What should I do?
View attachment 341717View attachment 341714
We've had two blokes swinging off those brackets, trying to pry them away from the wall, in the past, lol.

Yeah, going to keep the angle grinder in its case and thread the needle another way. (running small plastic guttering off an adjacent bike shed instead). This is definitely a DIY NOT. :)

Sponsored Links
Try and move the pipe , if it's moving on the ears I'd take the pipe down and refit to suit .
If they are sound cut and fit an eared socket before you do the lower work .
Job done

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back