Cavity wall tie failure or render joints.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Can anyone offer their opinion on these photos and whether the horizontal lines are cavity wall tie failure or joints In the render as they've moved up the side of the house?

I'm no expert but hoping to get an indication and whether to go for a survey.

The property was built mid 1960's if it makes any difference.

Thank you in advance.

Daren

[/img]

Sponsored Links
daren_28, Hi.

The photos posted appear to indicate that the ties are corroding, the rusting is so "powerful" that it can cause the brickwork to make the external leaf of the wall to crack "horizontally" in effect the embedded wall tie is "lifting" the outer leaf, because of the "power" of the corroding tie

There does not appear to be any indication in the photos of the gable of the house having been fitted with a cavity wall insulation, which in certain cases can at times exacerbate the corrosion problem with the ties, because if there was cavity wall insulation then this can "concentrate" the worst effects of the corrosion.

Taken to its extreme! the ties will continue to corrode and at some time in the future the ties could fail, the outer leaf of the gable will begin to bulge outwards.

Problem solver here is to insert "remedial ties "but" at a cost?

In effect as you have posted, you are in my opinion [everyone is entitled to my opinion] the property is suffering from a form of wall tie failure.

Hope this assists?

Ken.

Ken could well be right in that the horizontal cracks usually signify rusting ties.
However, is the house ex-local authority? Many council houses put up after the War were built with 'non-traditional' systems, most based on either concrete or steel
Those cracks can sometimes be seen on 'Orlit' houses, which were built of relatively large concrete panels, and eventually these can show through the rendering.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replies. Am grateful.

Will go for a survey then.

Like the house but me thinks it'll all depend on the cost to resolve the issue.

Thanks again,

Daren

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back