CCS CAT5e Same as CCA CAT5e?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am just about to have my electrician put this in my house:

teLtU.jpg

And I just want to double check that it is what I think it is - CCA, cheap Chinese stuff.

Am I correct?

Sponsored Links
As CCA is Copper Clad Aluminimum, then I'd hazard a Guess that CCS would be Copper clad steel

You would indeed be best off ignoring the cheaper options and getting proper copper data cable, rather than cheap copper coated stuff

Too late, he's bought enough to cable the Olympic Stadium.

I agree cheap isn't the best but it would seem to comply with the relavent standards.........

Sponsored Links
Too late, he's bought enough to cable the Olympic Stadium.

I agree cheap isn't the best but it would seem to comply with the relavent standards.........

Well so the label says...

My thoughts exactly.

I don't really think you can have compliant cheap stuff.

-------------

Apparently this is the manufacturer: http://www.connectixdirect.com/acatalog/Enhanced_Category_5_UTP_Solid_Cable.html

And this is the distributor: http://www.cablemonkey.co.uk/acatalog/Cat5e_Solid.html

I think CCS in this context is a brand (connectix cabling soloutions or something like that) not a name for a cable manufacturing technique.

As CCA is Copper Clad Aluminimum, then I'd hazard a Guess that CCS would be Copper clad steel

But it appears that in this case, CCS (TM) stands for Connectix Cabling Systems (TM)

Edit: Damn! Beaten to it!

@Grizzly - Hahaha... I guess it is a false alarm then.

Thanks for the info guys! I will do testing once it is all in and post back! :D

By the time you factor in the cost of installation, surely the extra to have gone with Cat 6 or 6a would have been insignificant?

Still - too late now.

While that is a valid point, I am only getting the electrician to just pull the cables through, I'll be punching the cable into the wall modules and patch panel myself as and when I have time.

The other thing is, me being me, I would rather have the bog standard (CAT5e) or go all out CAT6a, nothing in between. And CAT6a cable costs an arm and a leg!!! :'(

If I were to get everything installed - cable, face plates, patch panels - then yes, factoring all the costs, CAT6a would've been an option.

As I am led to believe from suppliers and installers, the cat6 specification has basically been done away with.

There is no official standard that requires cat6 that cannot be used with cat5e.

10, 100, 1000Mb base are all supported with cat5e.

10Gb is only supported on cat6 at a reduced length, cat6A for the full 100m.

The choice is basically cat5e or cat6A. The current cost of cat6A network cards and switches makes it's use in homes and even medium to large offices pointless. It is geared up for data centres and back bone links.

You might want to use the infrastructure for other things.

The price of adapters and switches will fall.

You tend to want to flood wire your house only once, if possible.

If it's £50 vs £150 for cable and that's all the cost there is, that's a different comparison to £300 vs £400 for cable + installation. 200% more vs 33% more.

But the OP has thought about it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back