cctv advise

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Before finishing the inside of the house and while I have not decorated yet, I thought I would fit some cams.

Was thinking of some dome ccd ones to fit on the underside of the fasias (1 front and1 back), with wiring going into the loft via the eaves. I can ten run the cabling in the loft space and come down into a cupboard I have at the top of the stairs were I will have a network dvr connected to my router.

Are the dome cameras any good, ive seen night and day ones for around £50 on a well know auction site.

any suggestions welcome, just thought it would be a good idea to put them in now

Sponsored Links
Most of the crap on ebay, is that, crap.

How much were you looking at spending? And you wanted the cameras inside your house? To be honest, a lot of the cameras are pretty ugly, not something I'd want in my house. I'd be more inclined to mount a minature dome at the exits of my house, and on the drive. Then connect them to a DVR with internet connectivity. You could then view them on the net from anywhere.

Just a suggestion. lol

Most of the rubbish on ebay, is that, rubbish.

How much were you looking at spending? And you wanted the cameras inside your house? To be honest, a lot of the cameras are pretty ugly, not something I'd want in my house. I'd be more inclined to mount a minature dome at the exits of my house, and on the drive. Then connect them to a DVR with internet connectivity. You could then view them on the net from anywhere.

Just a suggestion. lol

About £100 on cams.

Only looking for them outside, so thought mini dome, placed under soffit board

Hi there

Are you thinking of domes with Night vision (IRs)?

I ask because a lot of the cheaper domes with IRs that i have come across are terrible, the IRs seem to spread out more due to the "dome" shape and provide far less night vision than they state.

I would personally use a small bullet camera with IRs, if i wanted night vision.

If not, then a dome sounds fine.

But i agree with earlier statement, about most stuff on ebay is rubbish. There are plenty of UK websites now selling CCTV products. And you should be able to find much better quality at resonable prices, with better service.

Good Luck

Sponsored Links
Don't skimp on the price of the cameras.
I've tried loads of different ones. I've now replaced them all with domes costing £150 each. Worth every penny.

They're best lower down though. Under the eves is too high (unless you're in a bungalow). People are less distinguishable when looking at the top of someone's head.

Don't skimp on the price of the cameras.
I've tried loads of different ones. I've now replaced them all with domes costing £150 each. Worth every penny.

They're best lower down though. Under the eves is too high (unless you're in a bungalow). People are less distinguishable when looking at the top of someone's head.

where did you get them from?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back