cctv and alarm system

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi
hoping if i give you guys some requirements i can get some steer. after recent burglaries in neighboring houses i need to put in a system for deterrence and piece of mind. the local method appears to be (as we are a quiet area with plenty of non-overlooked gardens) is destroy largest rear window using any available large/hard objects, steal light valuables , keys and cars... hence increasing the level of locking , detecting door openings etc is not going to help. I have no system at present.

CCTV - At least 4 , most likely 6 external cameras (detached house, detached garage, 2 entrance and 2 patio doors). I think my requirements are:
  • 1080pHD or better cameras. Variety of camera options including antivandal-dome, as need to put at least one under a ground floor porch soffit. PoE IP based so I can use cat 5 cabling. Ideally with a local SD card storage backup.
  • NVR that I can put in a suitable place , this is constrained by the need to run the PoE camera cabling back to it. Probably in a loft space, I will not want to put it in the study. Also putting in an obscure location to help with the risk of miscreants nicking the DVR.
  • NVR fully accessible over local network for all configuration and management. Not depending on local hdmi and mouse connection (due to point above)
  • Push method notification (movement detection ->recording -> email) tunable per camera (would only set that on the ones round the sides and back as the front would have too much )
  • remotely accessible for viewing over internet using an app or browser. But must NOT rely on exposing a web server or any ports on the home network - must use a secure client-server architecture. I am very concerned about all the recent issues of cameras being remotely accessible and used for mirai botnets (so this is an absolute nono. quite prepared to pay more for a brand that does the IT security of the system itself properly.
Have been looking at the various swann (maplins) hikvision and pyronix options. currently thinking hikvision but appreciate any steer. the possibility to integrate the pyronix cams with alarm seems interesting, but not clear how much integration there actually is and whether its worth having, and not so many camera options as hikvision, their website seems more pro oriented than uber-diyer, the doc pages are all installer login only.

Alarm
  • wireless control links from panel to all components as do not want to run internal wiring.
  • dual path panel - Internet app (wifi) and GPRS/SMS to set/unset/partial set.
  • secure client server architecture for app
  • wired power to external sounder (don't want to climb roof level external ladder just to change battery!)
  • PIR per room.
  • No internal cams (I have privacy issue with that)
  • Glass break / shock on 2x rear patio doors?
been having a look at the pyronix enforcer/home control kits as they seem well recommended on here, however what is lacking is the real documentation as it is behind the installer login. I've also looked at the honeywell evohome/sucre stuff (as I am existing evohome heating user) the one thing that puts me off it is the sounder being battery only.

any recommendations appreciated

Sponsored Links
Steer clear of Swann ,load of ****
Texecom ricochet is a hybrid system where you can use wired and wireless devices and you can have a hard wired bell box
Text and app available.
Remember wireless bell boxes can not ring for more than 5 mins at a time before batteries go flat and need replacing

.... and wired ones have to stop at 15min along with the strobe.

I second the Swan comment

Ive just installed a Hikvision IP system and a Pyronix Enforcer wireless system in my house,

They are both great pieces of kit. The pyronix, i can set/unset from my phone and get notifications on my phone when/if the alarm goes off

I've not had any false activations yet - and so far its been in 6 months with no battery changes.

Hikvision stuff is great, reasonable price and great quality!

Sponsored Links
Ive just installed a Hikvision IP system and a Pyronix Enforcer wireless system in my house,

They are both great pieces of kit. The pyronix, i can set/unset from my phone and get notifications on my phone when/if the alarm goes off

I've not had any false activations yet - and so far its been in 6 months with no battery changes.

thanks. how did you get the details for the pyronix system? installer manuals specifically, if I can't read those I can't shortlist it.

Mirai relied on default passwords. As with all these things ensure you set strong passwords.
true, but also an architecture of opening incoming ports via upnp to provide the remote usage capability. been looking at hik's ezviz , hard to tell for sure but seems to be moving to a client->cloud server model?

thanks. how did you get the details for the pyronix system? installer manuals specifically, if I can't read those I can't shortlist it.
I didn't before i purchased it, sure you'll be able to find it online, but dead easy to setup - took me about 30 mins once sensors etc were up

cheers

ok thanks. thats pretty detailed and full featured kit! not sure I have the time to learn all of that, might be better to pay someone who already knows it and get the potential option of an ARC etc.

any pros on here cover milton keynes area want to quote for this? been doing the maths on what I'd need, its a big house, so a decent lump of business. PM me if so. thanks.

Hi guys, follow up on this. Any good wire/wireless alarm systems? I need something that has the option of getting a call once the alarm goes off. They are firms that will charge around 700 for 4 sensors and mobile phone coverage. If I can save money I would prefer to do it myself.

Last edited:

Hi mate, where did you purchase from?

Agreed on the Pyronix Enforcer....brilliant and best all rounder....was using Richocet but it's over complex and a lot more costly than Enforcer....

On the cctv front , Hik is really great however Samsung have just launched wise net ....have kit a few HD kits which is coax based( same as Hik Turbo) ...it certainly feels more expensive than Hik and from an installer view , Samsung brand commands a better return. Performance wise , yes the detail is better than 1080 turbo. The wise net series is also available in ip but no yet used.

If rodents are an issue I would go coax path for install....

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi mate, where did you purchase from?
Hi
I purchased from a supplier we use at work.
I could possibly help you out and get a price if your interested. Really good bits of kit. 7 pirs, external box, extra keypad inside, wifi module. Works well :)

Hi
I purchased from a supplier we use at work.
I could possibly help you out and get a price if your interested. Really good bits of kit. 7 pirs, external box, extra keypad inside, wifi module. Works well :)

Yeah please, if you can :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back