cctv and the law..

I

imamartian

i'm about to install some security cams around the exterior of my house. Are there any rules/laws about what i can film and what i can't? What i mean is, i live by a footpath, so am i contravening any laws if your average Mr and Mrs Bloggs are videoed walking their dog?
Also, if i have the camera covering a part of a neighbours garden (only due to the shape) am i doing wrong? (i'll obviously make sure their house is not covered).

Do i need signs up warning people?

Ta !

Sponsored Links
AFAIK...

As a private resident.

You can cover your own property and only your own property without falling foul of any law.

You would have problems if your cameras covered any public area as you would have to comply with the Data Protection Act and reigister your scheme. I doubt permission would be granted.

Don't even think about including any part of your neighbours property.

thanks blondini, that document is now in my favourites

Sponsored Links
I know you've got your answer, but my mum has a CCTV camera that covers her garden and the lane in front of the house - the camera is purely to protect my brother's pride and joy car that sits on the lane. There's been a couple of burglary's in the area and the police know my mum has a camera and the first thing they do is go to her to view the tapes to see if the thieves have been caught on the camera (which they have been on three occassions). I'm sure if she was breaking the law by covering the street, they'd have told her.

my concern is that it actually invites trouble. In this day and age of the 'untouchable scum' who know they can get away with virtually all petty crime... they almost seem to want to play up to cctv.... :evil:

my concern is that it actually invites trouble. In this day and age of the 'untouchable scum' who know they can get away with virtually all petty crime... they almost seem to want to play up to cctv.... :evil:

answered your own question then

Hi mate, you must have a sign up, something to do with data protection or human rights. I forgot but it was what my CCTV guy said to me. :)

I'd suggest that you contact your local police station for advice as this can be quite complex.

A local shopkeeper down here was recently told to remove their CCTV cameras (installed to catch those who keep smashing their windows) because to film underage children sat on the wall outside the premises could be considered in contravention of child protection legislation :rolleyes:

Total nightmare ... And nonsensical IMHO.

I believe that filming on your own domestic property (and not public land) is okay though but best to check ... It's only a phone call and maybe a visit from the neighbourhood beat dibble after all and that's what you pay your community charges for.

MW

Asking the plod about this is probably a waste of time. The shopkeepers CCTV is bound by DPA but the housholders isn't. The DPA does not apply to filming or cctv recording for private use. This wasn't always the case, but the DPA has been relaxed at least twice to remove restrictions on private use and household systems. Many people are unaware of the changes and I have heard of the police refusing to even look at a domestic cctv recording of someone stealing parts off a car on a private drive 'because of the DPA.' They were completely wrong of course, but how many people were they misadvising and letting down.

The DPA does not apply to filming or cctv recording for private use
Try reading my last post Blondini, I don't recall mentioning the DPA. The issue is more complex than many people realise and I have it on good authority that local police stations have been given guidance regarding the use of CCTV on private land to inform the public who make such enquiries.

So, whilst asking your local plod may have been a waste of time (as they may be totally incompetant), I think your post and this response are probably a bigger waste of everyone's time. :LOL:

MW

Sponsored Links
Back