cctv cable of choice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
About to install CCTV in large house - probably 8 cameras.

My only experience to date, is for cameras to be wired in shotgun cable.

I've decided to use CAT5 to make it future-proof, should I decide to change to IP cameras at a later date.

Question is, should I use shielded CAT5 or is the standard unshielded plenty good enough.

Looking around, there doesn't seem to be much shielded on offer. Maybe it's not required ... any thoughts?

Sponsored Links
standard unshielded is fine.

Wire to Cat 5e standard though so you have the option of Gigabit in future. Also consider your cable lengths so you have the option of migrating to Power over Ethernet in future.

For the small extra cost it may be worth running 2 x cables to each point, just in case one fails.

• Thanks
Reactions: SNM
Just a note of caution - some baluns are better than others so I'd suggest you just buy one pair for starters and try them on the longest run. The ones made by NVT are expensive and very good - and their technical support is great, too.

• Thanks
Reactions: SNM

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back