CCTV Cameras

I agree, don't use a charger. Depending on the type of charger - an older one will produce a very raw form of DC and the voltage will be uncontrolled. A more modern charger will not output any voltage, unless it 'sees' a suitable voltage from a battery at it's connections.
But all battery charges char over 12V anyway. A typical car alternater is between 14-15

Sponsored Links
As has been mentioned, the polarity is marked with a + and -
...and a power supply such as:

So this in what I want then as opposed to battery charger?
Do you know if it has enough amps to power more then one camera?

So have I got this right so fat

First off I need a need to test it to see if it works
I need a charger, coax cable (with fittings) and a TV

Then to get it to work
I need the charger, a lens, and an SD card to record video (So I dont need the recorder box right?)

Charging a battery, especially a big lead acid car battery, is a very different environment to operating electronic equipment.
The DC power supply on my PC is very accurate and precise and it needs to be for things like motherboards and stuff. But there is no way the 12V supply would every charge my cold cranking car battery so it would start the car, never!

Anyway I have ordered this
So when it arrive I can make a start

Thanks
AH

Sponsored Links
So it arrived
But I am now confused as to the plug on it (please see photos)
It looks like an old phone charger or something that would fit my keyboard, never the less it looks like a typical domestic appliance DC plug

The sticker says

Input 100-240V 50mhz 0.6mA
output 12V 1000mA

So am I right in thinking that I chop the end off the connector and wire it into a house hold 3 pin plug?

Attachments

• IMGA0277.JPG
    IMGA0277.JPG
    114 KB · Views: 66
  • IMGA0278.JPG
    IMGA0278.JPG
    121.9 KB · Views: 56
So it arrived ... But I am now confused as to the plug on it (please see photos) ... It looks like an old phone charger or something that would fit my keyboard, never the less it looks like a typical domestic appliance DC plug
What you've received does not look remotely like the product you said that you had ordered from TLC.

Kind Regards, John

So it arrived
But I am now confused as to the plug on it (please see photos)
It looks like an old phone charger or something that would fit my keyboard, never the less it looks like a typical domestic appliance DC plug

The sticker says

Input 100-240V 50mhz 0.6mA
output 12V 1000mA

So am I right in thinking that I chop the end off the connector and wire it into a house hold 3 pin plug?
NO.

That's obviously what I looked at, and was talking about, so ...
I have to say they look different. So they sent me the wrong part!
As we have both said, they are definitely visibly different - so, in that sense, what you have is clearly 'wrong'. However, whether the one depicted in the TLC piccie would any better suit your purpose (in terms of connectors), I have no idea.

Kind Regards, John

In essense they are similar products, Viz: a 230V mains lead, plastic box containing 12V 1A (1000mA) power supply, cable carrying 12V to a DC plug.
The advertised product will require fitting a 13A mains plug and cutting the DC plug off, the product you have received will require a similar action:

1663979002019.png

I suspect the vendor has simply sourced an equivalent product from a different supplier.

In essense they are similar products, Viz: a 230V mains lead, plastic box containing 12V 1A (1000mA) power supply, cable carrying 12V to a DC plug.
Indeed they are.
The advertised product will require fitting a 13A mains plug and cutting the DC plug off, the product you have received will require a similar action:
It's the DC plug which is incompatible with the OP's cameras that is his problem - but, as I just wrote, I have no idea as to whether the 'adversised' one would be any more suitable for his purpose.
I suspect the vendor has simply sourced an equivalent product from a different supplier.
The "vendor" is TLC, and the product is being sold for use with a specific alarm system, so I doubt that the DC connector will have changed, even if the supplier has.

Kind Regards, John

Indeed they are.

It's the DC plug which is incompatible with the OP's cameras that is his problem - but, as I just wrote, I have no idea as to whether the 'adversised' one would be any more suitable for his purpose.
Indeed you are correct, both PSU's plugs are incompatible with this
1663981384508.png

The "vendor" is TLC, and the product is being sold for use with a specific alarm system, so I doubt that the DC connector will have changed, even if the supplier has.

Kind Regards, John
Which is rather irrelevant for this
1663981419341.png

Indeed you are correct, both PSU's plugs are incompatible with this
Indeed. I'm not really sure why there is so much continuing discussion about the power supply when that is surely pretty moot if, as appears to be the case, the cameras don't currently have lenses, isn't it?

... and thinking further down that road, I suspect that (if the lenses are indeed absent) that the entire discussion might well be pretty moot because I doubt that there is a significant market (hence value) for old CCTV cameras, even if they are quite high-specedc, if they don't have lenses ?

Kind Regards, John

Just to clarify on my last post is that there are no DC or AC marked up on the sticker on the output or input.
But since as the cameras are marked up in polarity it would be a bit of a gamble to do anything at this point!
I have contacted the supplier and sent them a link to this page and I look forward to there responce in finding out first off why it is different from the photo and second if input and output are AC or DC!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back