CCTV Recommendations for a Newbie

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have little knowledge of CCTV systems for domestic properties

However I do know that I'd like one for my property :mrgreen:

Ideally I would like two for the front of the property

- I would like it to always record to a cloud service for a small fee or none at all
- Night vision (at least 30 feet)
- Two way comm in case DHL driver is delivering and nobody home
- Siren would be nice but essential
- Budget (under £180). I am frugal so the cheaper (without skimping on quality) the better please ;)

Currently I have a wired outside light, so using power from there could be an option

My wifi modem is close by if that helps too.

Please recommend CCTV

Sponsored Links
£180 might get you an EZVIZ DB1 (3MP video doorbell), if you already have an existing doorbell you maybe able to upgrade relatively easily. need a good wifi 2.4 or 5 at the point its to be fitted.

Unlike the WB6403 it seems to be much better with the British weather but then again the DB1 does have a better IP rating.

Cloud recording I suspect there will be a charge after an initial free trial as is often the case with these things.
It can record to an NVR, but unfortunately even with HIK Vision NVRs are limited (db1 only on certain models where the wb6403 can be done on any HIK vision NVR or turbo DVR with a free 2MP IP channel).

I'm just going through the same thing nearly completed the Texecom alarm install.
So I've gone for 6 x cameras Hikvision 6mm pignose, 4tb Hikvision recorder with a small 15" monitor all Poe. Looking forward to starting the install.

Sponsored Links
6mm is a relatively narrow field of view for most domestics, however if you have worked it out that's what you need then fair enough.

Yes it is Secureiam your correct I deliberately didn't want a wide field of view, 6mm is plenty as I targeting certain areas.

Makes sense, very few people get cameras to cover the areas properly or mount them at the wrong heights for what they want to achieve.

I'm fortunate to have a friend who is in the industry so I am lucky to be able to get good deals.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back