CCTV Recommendations

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A few sheds & garages have been targeted in my area lately, looking for a couple of cameras POE or mains/PSU power preferably to monitor front and back of house with night vision and a few days recording, thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
not really adequate information to help.

as a brand Hikvision are competitive, but you need the right camera for the light in the area, including the right lens and camera resolution.

a 2.8mm camera is a wide angle lens and at 2MP you wont get an identifiable image unless the person is relatively close to the camera, swap the same camera for a 4mm lens and you don't cover as wide an area but your closer to the subject matter.

Nowadays I start with a 5MP and work out the right lens to get the best performance, storage of data, should be 30 days as a guide, and the higher the cameras resolution and frame rate the larger the hard drive you require.

GMP recommended 12fps as a minimum and no compression

Sponsored Links
I'm pleased with my Hikvision system, which is connected via PoE to a couple of Synology boxes. Each server has two licenses and they can be bought used on eBay cheaply. I would combine with some sort of lighting. They work so much better with a bit of light.

If your on a budget Hikvision make a low cost range of analogue or IP (PoE) cameras and recorders under the name HiLook. While they don't have all the bells and whistles of a full Hikvision system they cost significantly less and still offer very good image quality when positioned correctly. HiLook is also available to end users with full warranty and tech support whereas Hikvision is (or at least should be) restricted to trade only through official channels.

If you are planning to self-install I suggest you contact a HiLook re-seller like Connectec or JMC for example who can offer pre-sales advice and can help spec the right kit.

https://www.hikvision.com/en/Products/HiLook

No massive difference in prices between the two ranges , hilook just the older technology of hikvision
Try global cctv prices are pretty good , try the 5mp POC TVI cameras

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back