CCTV recommendations

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

My mother recently had the window of her car smashed so that a scum bag could steal her blue badge.

She is now talking about some kind of CCTV.

I appreciate that there are rules regarding filming the public highway (read: cars on the pavements)- but if we put that to one side, what are the options?

I am guessing that she wants something iOS friendly.

Any reasonable and considered advice will be gratefully appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Realistically there lay us kind of a meddle in a haystack kind of a question.

Don’t recommend wifi or battery cams unless you agile enough to take down and replace/ recharge the battery.

As a victim of crime you have reasonable grounds to look at deterrents.

If you go with something like Hikvision livegaurd.

Two way audio and decent image at night will depend on light coverage. So dark fighter would be okay if you have very good lighting at for full on 24 7 colour and colour vu if not.

Where colour vu May fall down is in dark rain or fog where white light bounces back, however you can reduce issues with the settings to some degree. Ie turn the white ligh down as low as possible to maintain good full colour at night.

Resolution and lens depends on the distance from your property to your car.

No buggier garden ie out of front door on to pavement you could probably get away. With 2 to 4MP and 2.8mm lens.

However each situation is different so you may want to look at ipvm calculator to get an idea of performance and coverage it’s not exact but gives a good indication for a given camera model

Realistically there lay us kind of a meddle in a haystack kind of a question.

Don’t recommend wifi or battery cams unless you agile enough to take down and replace/ recharge the battery.

As a victim of crime you have reasonable grounds to look at deterrents.

If you go with something like Hikvision livegaurd.

Two way audio and decent image at night will depend on light coverage. So dark fighter would be okay if you have very good lighting at for full on 24 7 colour and colour vu if not.

Where colour vu May fall down is in dark rain or fog where white light bounces back, however you can reduce issues with the settings to some degree. Ie turn the white ligh down as low as possible to maintain good full colour at night.

Resolution and lens depends on the distance from your property to your car.

No buggier garden ie out of front door on to pavement you could probably get away. With 2 to 4MP and 2.8mm lens.

However each situation is different so you may want to look at ipvm calculator to get an idea of performance and coverage it’s not exact but gives a good indication for a given camera model

Thanks for the reply. I am happy to chase any cables as required.

I will check out the Hikvision livegaurd.

The front garden is only about 3.5m deep- distance to the car is less than 6m. It is west london and has street lighting

I just want something that will make her feel that someone might be less inclined to steal the replacement blue badge when it eventually turns up.

In reality, I suspect that any toe rags will just wear a hoddie....

Sponsored Links
Given its on display and stolen in seconds I doubt it will make much a difference with a view only CCTV.

However Live guard Hikvision and TiOC Dahua will allow monitoring and can be set to trigger an audio response and or flashing light, this will indicate to the person they have been seen, you could even set it up for you to get a notification and you could then use the two way audio for a more personalised response.

Indeed you can record your own message rather than have a pre-recorded one selected.

There are many different manufacturers that offer something similar.

I would suggest something like HIKVISION DS-2CD2387G2-LSU/SL(2.8MM), you can add an SD card for recording, or add an NVR.

https://calculator.ipvm.com/ allows you to load up the property and place a camera selected from the drop down list. this will give you an idea of coverage and what a persons face may look like at a set distance away. The key figure is 250ppm or higher to help with ID.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back