CCTV / Security advice please.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am looking to installed a CCTV / Security camera system at home.

Requirements:

4 External Camera's
2 Internal Camera's

POE
Will require alerts when movement/motion is detected.
At the very least 24 hour recording.
Able to access/view on OS - IPhone, Internet etc
Will be nice to have pan/tilt feature

What route am i best going down?
The Nest camera's seem simple and easy to use/setup however they are very pricey and i will need a monthly subscription for each camera! Will work out a pricey setup and on going cost.

How about a standalone system? I always hear HKVision name pop up however there are so many different types it leaves me confused. Could a 'standalone' system be used to copy to cloud as well as local storage? For example - it copies to cloud when movement is detected, other wise recording to the hard drive?

Any advice would be very much appreciated.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
You can get the hikvision to email a picture on movement , you can draw a box on screen if someone was to cross point A to B it emails you , plus other options to the above setting

Thanks for the reply.

When looking at HK kits there are just so many options. With a budget of around 400-500 which is 'the one' to get?

Sponsored Links
Will these be POE ?

Do you have exact model number i could search for?
Thanks

I'm no expert and can only talk from a DIY user installer but without separate PIR detection then using the camera's built in detection will result in lots of false positives, my Hikvision camera forever email me with rain drops on the lens, large shadows when from cloud cover when the sun goes in and out etc.

These are not IP cameras.

just being looking at system for a customer of mine, budgets are about getting the best value for what your spending.

However you can spend a lot of money on equipment that's not fit for purpose.

If its HIK and it on ebay is it genuine kit for your country, I have seen two price scales on ebay, one more expensive than my authorised distributors and another cheaper than my distributors, those that were more expensive claimed to be genuine UK spec rather than grey imports.

pan/ tilt poe for 6 cameras, NVR not possible.

as for false emails, motion detection certainly will give lots of false activations, when using the line detection etc its all about optimising the settings

Thanks.

Could you possibly provide a link to a deal which you believe meets my criteria and is within my £400-500 budget?

I certainly can't put any professional bias on a system that's not had some sort of assessment.

what do you need the cameras for, how far from the camera do you need to see/ identify someone if at all?

where do you intend mounting them? as the higher up they are more likely to see tops of heads.

how good is the light ?

Give you a quick lowdown.

Property is a corner plot bungalow, so I will be installing the camera's fairly low down (compared to abnormal double storey house) however not so far down they can be easily reached.

Required to
Cover front drive
Front drive access
Side drive
Rear garden

Front door to drive access I would say is approx 15m.

Light I would say is good/average

Thanks for the links.

Ideally I would prefer a POE system.

Thanks for the links.

Ideally I would prefer a POE system.

lol good luck with that.

Best Swann deal i can see £580 and thats for four cameras. 2 extra cameras @ £120 each.
Swann grand total £820
http://www.costco.co.uk/view/p/swan...bullet-cameras2-x-nhd-819-dome-cameras-245103

To buy in the Uk IP Hikvision would be approx:

Cameras £120 x6 = £720
8 channel Nvr £190
2Tb Hard Drive = £75
Total = £985

The above does not include cable, cat5 crimps and crimp tool.

UK Turbo Hikvision would be around £520 not including cable, bnc connectors + bnc crimp tool.

Another option is to import Chinese Grey Market cameras. Bit of a risk because if it doesn't work it a long way to take it back. However I make a 4Mp Hikvision IP system approx £525 for six cameras. Price does not include cable, crimps and crimp tool.

Last edited:
60 days plus 24hr recording on a 2TB hard drive, for 4MP cameras by nice to see what they set that to

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back