CCU on kitchen island - in or outside of cupboards?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
What is the standard approach for fitting a CCU on a kitchen island?
In particular:-

(a) Is it within regulations to fit the CCU inside one of the cupboards or does the switch have to be on one of the sides of the island in order that it is easily accessible?
(b) If it needs to be on the outside, what's th best way to get a professional finish?

Sponsored Links
Normally fit them on the wall of the kitchen along with the rest of the sockets / switches etc.

How far from the rest of the kitchen is the island going?

Are we talking a DB or a cooker switch here?
I also did wonder, but I imagine that 'CCU' probably means 'Cooker Control Unit', aka 'cooker switch'. A DB/CU in an 'island' could present some interesting challenges of cable routing!

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replies,

I did consider putting the isolating switches on the wall, the link below is to the original post about this work.

//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=377071

Apologies for the use of the term "CCU", I thought this was the accepted term used for a cooker isolation switch.

The responses to the previous post cited above suggested that having the isolation switches on the island was acceptable. The purpose of this post was to try and determine if I should put the isolating switches inside the the cupboards or have them on the outside.

A bit more detail....

There will be four base units, all 600mm. These will be placed in a square shape. The two ovens will be fitted on one side, the opposite side will be storage cupboards. A 6mm and 2.5mm cable come out underneath these base units. The intention is to route the cables in mini-trunking along the floor under the units to pop up inside the storage cupboards. I will then continue routing the cables in mini-trunking inside the storage cupboards to their isolating switches (mounted either inside or outside of the cupboards, TBD). I will then have a short length of 6mm cable (in mini trunk) to a junction box to provide separate 6mm feeds to the hob and single oven.

I would hope that wiring this all inside the storage cupboard is pretty straight-forward using standard PVC surface mounted boxes. However, if I have the switches on the outside of these cupboards I don't want the additional thickness of surface boxes on the outside so what's the best option in this case? Specifically, the best option in terms of ensuring that I don't have exposed terminals inside the cupboard - maybe use plastic dry lining boxes or is there a better approach?

Steve

There's a steel conduit buried in the concrete floor going from the side of the kitchen across to the area under the island base units. The intention was to then exit the steel conduit under the island units and take the cables into plastic mini-trunking fixed to the surface of the flooring in order to get the cable to the inside edge of the storage cupboard base unit. Is this bad practice? I could add more steel conduit on the surface of the floor if this is needed?

Steve

I would say no reason for it to be in anything if it's under cupboards, but I can't see you being able to pull T/E through, so it will need containment. Trunking there will be fine - I thought you meant that the buried stretch would be in plastic trunking.

Hi ban-all-sheds,

Not sure what you mean when you say "can't see you being able to pull T/E through, so it will need containment"?

Steve

What he means is he thinks you will not be able to successfully pull twin and earth through the burried conduit so you will have to use conduit singles instead. If you use conduit singles they will need to be contained conduit or trunking for their entire run.

OK I now understand.

The metal conduit's inner diameter is over an inch and its seems to be arrow straight and clear of any blockages. Hopefully I can pull the cable through that!

Aplogies for really slow reply :(

It's pukka conduit from TLC.

Cable pulled in with no drama.

Just cleaned the end up, ready to earth the blighter.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back