Ceiling downlight trend

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

I am in the process of extending my living room by another 10 feet. The builders took the old ceiling off (e.g. plaster etc) as they were putting new wiring in, and are now about to put plasterboards in place of the old ceiling. They've told me that now would be a good time to get ceiling downlights put in if I wish as it would be easy for them.

It's something that I have thought about but I wanted to get your idea on how this trend may pan out in the future (i know your not all practising as psychics, but I value your opinion). I am always aiming to have my house look as neutral as possible and I am thinking that if I put these lights in, is it something that I may really want to pull out in say 6 or 7 years down the line or because it's lighting, do you think that it'll always stay in fashion more or less and not have too much of a bearing as to future designs in the room.

The room is stripped bare and is about to be skimmed. I can show you any pics if you want, in case you have other ideas e.g. how best to decorate it etc.

Your ideas will be much appreciated.

Thanks

Steve

Sponsored Links
If you install downlighters they will be there for ever or until you do a major job on your ceiling again.
As you have extended your room by 10ft, why not just get two new ceiling roses fitted equi-distance apart and, if possible, wired seperately to a twogang switch. That way you can put whatever light fittings you want hanging from the ceiling and have them switched or dimmed independantly of the other.

If you think you might ever want to put a dimmer in I'd recommend putting a nice deep back box in at this stage.

I had just finished decorating my living room and it was all looking lovely when I found that the dimmer switch I'd bought was just too deep for the existing 16mm box.

thanks for your ideas guys. I've got two main light cables also coming from the ceiling but I was thinking about putting these in addition to those but was not sure whether it is just a short-term craze that will leave me wanting to get rid of them in a few years down the line when they might just be a sight for sore eyes!

Thanks

Sponsored Links
If you install downlighters they will be there for ever or until you do a major job on your ceiling again.
As you have extended your room by 10ft, why not just get two new ceiling roses fitted equi-distance apart and, if possible, wired seperately to a twogang switch. That way you can put whatever light fittings you want hanging from the ceiling and have them switched or dimmed independantly of the other.

i concur.

I bet there'll be a market in a few years for downlight hole covers.

Small round paintable pieces of plastic with spring clips on the back, about 10mm bigger all round than the hole.

Someone should invent this.

:LOL:

I bet there'll be a market in a few years for downlight hole covers.

Small round paintable pieces of plastic with spring clips on the back, about 10mm bigger all round than the hole.

Someone should invent this.

:LOL:

They have...sheet of plasterboard,starett cutter and a short piece of 50mm batten.,and some poly filla :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back