ceiling fan installation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Can any help with a ceiling fan installation , I have two set of wires i only need one set , what is the best way to discount them safely or is either something else I need to do.

see pic

Sponsored Links
OK thank for that but what do I do with extra wires what is the best way to disconnect them , tape them up and hide them? or is there something you can get instead of using tape.?

I have two set of wires i only need one set
Which set would you prefer to lose?

The one which brings the lighting circuit to the rose, so that the light no longer works?

Or the one which goes to the light switch, so that the light no longer works?

PLEASE learn how lighting circuits work rather than diving in and starting to fiddle with things you don't understand.

//www.diynot.com/wiki/electrics:lighting

Sponsored Links
OK thank for that but what do I do with extra wires what is the best way to disconnect them , tape them up and hide them? or is there something you can get instead of using tape.?
Doesn't really matter, as you'll have to reverse your changes as soon as you find that you've stopped the light from working.

It depends upon how you want everything controlled when the job is finished. It is just a fan, with no integral light? If so, do you want the existing wall switch to turn the fan on or off, or do you just want to use the pull switch on the fan?

If the fan has an integral light do you want:

1. The existing wall switch to turn both fan & light on & off, then use the pull chains on the fan to select which functions you want?

2. The existing wall switch to turn the light on & off only, with the fan completely independent on the pull switch?

3. The existing wall switch to become redundant and use the pull switches on the fan exclusively?

The split switching options assume that the fan is already supplied with separate fan & light feeds at its connector block, otherwise you would have to modify the internal wiring to split them. If you have only a single L & N to the fan and aren't able to modify it to split the lighting off separately, then only options 1 & 3 above are available.

I want number 1

1. The existing wall switch to turn both fan & light on & off, then use the pull chains on the fan to select which functions you want?

it has only one block for both the light and fan

I want number 1

In that case L & N to the fan should be from the wires which at the moment connect to the pendant cord for the light, i.e. the black wire which is currently connected to blue on the pendant goes to N on the fan. The black wire sleeved red which currently connects to brown on the pedant goes to L on the fan. The two red wires need to be connected together as they are at the moment. And earths all joined together, of course.

The two red wires need to be connected together as they are at the moment

How do i do that as there is only space for 3 wires in the fan block.

thank for the help

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back