How to wire a ceiling fan?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. I am trying to install a ceiling fan in my boys room. I have fitted 4 in this house but they all had more wires. The one I'm trying to install only has 2 wires (a brown and a blue) and 2 earth wires. I was wondering which wires to connect to which. I have attached a picture of the fan.
Thanks for your help.

Attachments

• 20190514_120412.jpg
    20190514_120412.jpg
    272.5 KB · Views: 91
Sponsored Links
Maybe its an idea to re-post in the electrical section Chris, but the Blue (neutral) and Brown (live) go to the same outlet terminals as did the existing light bulb (observe the polarity) and the two earths are joined together - again in the ceiling rose.
John :)

MOD: Moved to electricsUK

Hi John.
Thank you for your reply and sorry, I'm a total newbie so didn't really know what to do on here. Which wires do I need from the ceiling wiring? I have a clearly marked switched, 3 live (red?) Another 2 neutral (black?) Sorry, it's been a while since I've put one up and as I say they all had more wires from the fan.

take photos first, before you disconnect anything.
ensure the switch light L wire is marked. (in a way that won't fall off!)

The switched goes to brown
the 2 neutral to blue
all earths together

3 lives don't connect to fan.

Sponsored Links
The 2 earth wires connect together and to earth.
The blue connects to the 2 blacks
The brown connects to the single black, might be sleeved red, marked switch.
The 3 reds can be ignored, they are the permanent lives.

Thank you so much guys. Will do it later but again, thank you so much.
Chris

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back