ceiling Fan removed installing normal light help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys I am hoping yous can advise me. I had a ceiling fan which I have removed. To start the fan the chain pulls were used at the switch there was a dimmer switch which controlled the light but not the fan this was controlled from the fan itself with pull chains.

I am looking to install a normal light fitting . The confusion arises because I have 3 wires coming from the ceiling. 3 reds (one from each wire) going into a block as do 3 black and 3 earths but there is an extra red wire in a block on its own.

I wondering what type of circuit set up this is and how I should wire the standard light to it. can all reds be put into a single block or am I way off the mark.This is the only light in the house wired like this and im guessing it is due to the ceiling fan. Any help would be greatly appreciated

Many thanks
Mark

Sponsored Links
the three reds are likely your permenant live
three blacks your neutrals
single red is your switched live

(this is assuming your red on it's own comes from a cable with another red, ie twin red instead of a red+black T+E)

connect your new light to:
live - single red
neutral - 3 blacks
earth - earth

With 3 reds and 3 blacks, it is likely the switchwire is a single.

Hi Iggifer thanks for replying soo quickly really appreciate it.

yes the single red comes in wire with 2 red and earth as far as I remember.

So basically only connect one of the 3 red wires? If so can I put the others in a block and insulate. What do I do with the switched live? Also I take it I connect all 3 earths or am I off the mark. sory for the questions

Thanks
Mark

Sponsored Links
no the three that are connected together now, leave connected together.

the red that is in a block on it's own, that's the one you want to connect to the live of your light (this is the switched live and will turn you light on and off from the pullcord)

you can either connect all 3 earths into your new light or put them in a connector block and then use a short length (if you have it) to connect to the light fitting. Dependant on terminal size in the lamp this may be a necessity

ok great so basically tape the block with the 3 reds in it with insulating tape. Then connect the single red to the lights brown. then connect the lights blue to the terminal with the 3 blacks still in it. Then connect the earth to the earths. Then this set up means the light will still be operated correctly from the dimmer switch. Thanks alot for the help I was pulling my hair out before I joined here really really helpful

apologies what I said was confusing. The 3 'wires'coming from the ceiling is the plastic sheathes (apologies I do not know the correct term, that contain the wires mentioned sorry about that EFLImpudence

The big things are called cables
The little things coming out of the big things are called conductors (or "wires").

Hope it works for you.

PS, You might want to revise your chosen name on this forum. How about sparkynot ;)

hahahaha thanks Taylortwocities after reading your post im thinking DOOH im having such a dumbass day hahahah. Especially considering I use cat 5 cable on regular basis with wires in it lol. Apologies guys lol please ignore my previous silly comment hahaha :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back