Ceiling has 3 sets of wires for lighting

Hi guys, I have a similar issue, I’ve connected it as the diagram said in an earlier post but I have no way of determining which wire is the switch wire, I have tried all 3 black wires in the live port separately and either get power to the new light but can’t switch it off at the plug, get power to the new light and still can’t switch it off but also my other kitchen light stops working or I get no power to the light at all? I have very little knowledge on all of this and just wanted to install a new light haha any help would be greatly appreciated

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    120.7 KB · Views: 92
Sponsored Links
Have you blown any fuses or tripped any circuit breakers whilst trying different wiring positions ?
If you have ,you may have fried the switch and it's permanently on ( internally)?

Have you blown any fuses or tripped any circuit breakers whilst trying different wiring positions ?
If you have ,you may have fried the switch and it's permanently on ( internally)?
I did trip a circuit breaker whilst trying it yes, I’m sort of confident I have the wires in the right place now as both kitchen lights work I just can’t turn the new one off. Would it just be a case of installing a new switch? Thanks

Yes ,fitting a new switch would probably resolve your issue.
I assume there is only 1 switch that controls the light in question ?
Your pic shows bare copper earth conductors,they should be sleeved yellow/ green. And the other conductors shouldn't have copper showing outside the terminal block ,all needs tidying up.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Yes ,fitting a new switch would probably resolve your issue.
I assume there is only 1 switch that controls the light in question ?
Your pic shows bare copper earth conductors,they should be sleeved yellow/ green. And the other conductors shouldn't have copper showing outside the terminal block ,all needs tidying up.
thanks Mate I’ll change the switch tomorrow and see if that works! And yes I’ll get everything tidied up so it’s as it should be. Really appreciate the help thanks again

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back