Ceiling help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I've just pulled down an old lath and plaster ceiling as part of a rewire (was below a kitchen in the flat above with a tiled floor, and as it has suffered a leak or two from above in the past I thought it an ideal time to replace).

I'm thinking about insulation and measures I can put in place to try and soften any damage caused should the flat upstairs leave their taps on again. I've got some of the recycled plastics insulation to put between the joists and was thinking about adding a polythene sheet, stapled to the joists to hold up the insulation prior to plasterboarding, and to catch any minor leaks from above. Is this a good idea? Thoughts would be really appreciated! Oh, and wiring will be secured to the joists, and will just make a small hole in the polythene to bring the cable through for the light.

Many thanks!

Sponsored Links
I can't see what good the polythene is going to do, as the water will find its way through regardless.

The insulation may help with acoustics though.

With the polythene I was thinking of just catching minor spills, but I guess it might find it's way through at the staples. I was also thinking it would be a good way of keeping the insulation up whilst it was plasterboarded. Is there a trick to laying insulation from below? Or do you have to stuff it in once the board is up? I have to insulate some Walls too which I have the same insulation for, is there a trick to this too? There are quite a few cross pieces in the wall so it may be difficult to stuff after?

Thanks!

Use 100mm cavity wall batts as they are fairly rigid and will stay in place provided the friction fit is reasonably snug.

Sponsored Links
You used to be able to get plasterboard with a polythene backing - check out with your local builders merchant to find out if its still available, if so use it - adding insulation will reduce heat loss significantly and you may even notice a reduction in your winter heating bill!

Regards

Do people sometimes just use a length of tape across the joists to hold the insulation in place? I've already bought a load of te recycled plastic insulation to do it.

Had another thought too. The joists look fine, though there are a few water marks from the previous spills. Is it worth treating the joists with anything to prolong their life?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back