Ceiling light confusion

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, about to replace my ceiling light. It's the first time I've replaced a light and was hoping it'd be straight forward with a like for like wire replacement. Electricity has been switched off as course.

I've taken the light casing off and im greeted with 2 red, 2 black and 1 grey wire. Presumably some sort of loop but not sure what? There's only one switch in this room and no other switches outside control it.

Can anyone guide me to which wires I need to connect. I stupidly forgot to take a picture of the light fitting before I disconnected it.

Pics attached. New light has a standard 3 wire connection.

Cheers
Phil

IMG_20200425_161432.jpg
IMG_20200425_154029~2.jpg
IMG_20200425_154006_MP.jpg

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Do you own any sort of electrical testers such as a multimeter? A lighty up screwdriver is no good what so ever.

Thanks for your replies.

The grey wire has black insulation. Sorry, should have shown that clearer in the pics.

So I've done some research on ceiling roses (should have done this before) and think I've figured out the wiring.

I've used my meter to figure out the switch wires and popped some red tape round the wire now for easy identification.

Pics attached - earth will be connected when I attach the light properly.

Am I about to blow things up or does it look okay?

IMG_20200425_170706.jpg

Sponsored Links
If you are sure the black that you have taped red is definitely the switched live ,the rest look about right. If your wrong you will blow a fuse or trip a breaker.

Apart from the fact that the two red wires are usually put in the centre connector marked LOOP that is correct - EXCEPT we cannot tell what the extra single grey wire is for, so -

Disconnect that wire and see if the light works and what doesn't work.

Apart from the fact that the two red wires are usually put in the centre connector marked LOOP that is correct - EXCEPT we cannot tell what the extra single grey wire is for, so -

Disconnect that wire and see if the light works and what doesn't work.

I've disconnected the wire and will test shortly when I find the bulb...

You will need to connect the earth wire to the light.

Pic was before I'd connected it, hooked up now.

Will let you know how I get on. Cheers

We have power! Thanks for your help and assurances guys.

However, now the landing light doesn't seem to work. Just tried a different bulb and still no luck. I'm 75% sure it did work before I started work on this light... Is it in the realms of possibility that the one cable I've not put back in was for that light?

Cheers,
Phil
IMG_20200425_173010_MP.jpg

To explain in more details:

I'll guess that your landing light has two way switching - i.e. a switch downstairs and another upstairs, and that the light you are working on is in an upstairs room, and that you (hopefully) have only one fuse or MCB covering both upstairs and downstairs lighting. This a pretty standard setup for older houses.

The live feed for the landing light will go to the the downstairs switch, which feeds up to the upstairs switch and then to the light, so the light needs a neutral from somewhere - that'll be your "grey" wire which, if you look carefully, is actually an insulated and sheathed black single cable.

See top left diagram: https://www.diynot.com/wiki/Electrics:Two-way-lighting

To explain in more details:

I'll guess that your landing light has two way switching - i.e. a switch downstairs and another upstairs, and that the light you are working on is in an upstairs room, and that you (hopefully) have only one fuse or MCB covering both upstairs and downstairs lighting. This a pretty standard setup for older houses.

The live feed for the landing light will go to the the downstairs switch, which feeds up to the upstairs switch and then to the light, so the light needs a neutral from somewhere - that'll be your "grey" wire which, if you look carefully, is actually an insulated and sheathed black single cable.

See top left diagram: https://www.diynot.com/wiki/Electrics:Two-way-lighting

You've got everything spot on! Thanks for the insight.

As a previous renter in mostly new build flats, buying a 1907 house has been a massive learning exercise for me. Really enjoying it so far.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back