Ceiling Light Fallen Down - advice needed for DIY novice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

The light in our bathroom has fallen down and the screws have pulled out the material with it, so I cannot re-screw it in. Any suggestions on how I could fix this? The light weighs around 1.5kg (glass cover has since been removed since taking photo)

Can anyone identify the ceiling material from the pictures? It looks like it was originally fitted with metal speed screws so my guess is it’s plasterboard?

Solutions I’d thought about:

1. Rotating the whole light around the cable and repainting the unpainted crescent. With this I was nervous I’ll split the plaster along the ceiling, or not be able to get enough distance between the old hole nearest the cable to it’s new hole

2. Keeping it in its current position and filling hole with CT1 or something along those lines with the original size speed screw

B0679A59-A654-48DA-9FDC-B5AE1D4FA9B6.jpeg
94484359-03A4-4BBC-B157-FEFD27C1C99A.jpeg
F31E0626-7CAA-4B15-89A8-F222877B6176.jpeg
4FD71444-589E-485B-A97C-07168295F976.jpeg
8E166C33-0659-40A4-8AF9-707949DD7B35.jpeg
AA3B963B-A03D-4FC2-B041-D9A4872BBEA8.jpeg

Would really appreciate any tips, advice or cautions on what could be done!

Thanks a lot,
Ben

Sponsored Links
That looks like a lath & plaster ceiling which has been skimmed over to me.
You need to find the nearest rafter which may, or may not, be next to the cable hole. Can you gain access above the ceiling from the loft? If so it will make things so much easier. You will be able to see where the cable is in relation to the support rafters. Also, if you can easily gain access above it will be easier to fix and retain the light in it's present position. You would need to put a board across the ceiling, with a suitable sized hole for the cable to go through, secured to the rafters either side of the cable hole. You can then screw the fitting into this board with longer wood screws instead of those pathetic things that have been used.
I have a suspicion the cable will be terminated in a junction box in the ceiling/loft, thereby making it very easy to disconnect to pass through the new hole and re-connect again. Just make sure you note where the cables are connected to in the JB

Sponsored Links
10BCF922-6DD4-4D14-AE65-5314A439EBBA.jpeg
849DB3C0-8DBD-4B29-834F-8630A5B3CFD7.jpeg
That looks like a lath & plaster ceiling which has been skimmed over to me.
You need to find the nearest rafter which may, or may not, be next to the cable hole. Can you gain access above the ceiling from the loft? If so it will make things so much easier. You will be able to see where the cable is in relation to the support rafters. Also, if you can easily gain access above it will be easier to fix and retain the light in it's present position. You would need to put a board across the ceiling, with a suitable sized hole for the cable to go through, secured to the rafters either side of the cable hole. You can then screw the fitting into this board with longer wood screws instead of those pathetic things that have been used.
I have a suspicion the cable will be terminated in a junction box in the ceiling/loft, thereby making it very easy to disconnect to pass through the new hole and re-connect again. Just make sure you note where the cables are connected to in the JB

Thanks for your advice and help. I went into the loft and it looks as though you are right, the cable coming out on the right is the cable I suspect is the cable to the light. I shall try what you suggested
10BCF922-6DD4-4D14-AE65-5314A439EBBA.jpeg
C075CF43-65B6-4D6C-AE01-6C0FDEB6A012.jpeg
849DB3C0-8DBD-4B29-834F-8630A5B3CFD7.jpeg

Not accessible from above will all that boarding.
Take a hammer and bash a hole in the ceiling about 3inches wide. Get a piece of 2 inch wide wood, about 9 inches long, put the wood through the hole in one direction and when it's in slide it back the other way until it's centralised. Holding the wood firmly in the middle, put a screw through the ceiling on each side of the wood. Then screw the light fitting up through the ceiling into the wood.

Sponsored Links
Back