Ceiling light nightmare

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just bought two very nice and rather pricey lights for my living room, but have had a nightmare wiring them. I have even managed to fry a light switch, so I'm clearly in trouble.

Essentially, the wires that emerged from my light fittings bore no resemblance to any others in my house. I have changed other fittings before, you see.

Two cables drop from the ceiling. One has:
1 red
1 blue
1 yellow

The second has:
1 red
1 black

Both have an earth wire which is jacketed together.

When I opened up the fitting both the lives were together, both the neutrals were together. The Earth wires were together, and the seperate yellow was on its own.

All I have to do is connect the new light, but when I do it stays on. When I tried to replace the old fitting (identically to how I found it - 100% positive!) it also stayed on.

Can someone please help!
Cheers
mrtomato. :(

Sponsored Links
You say there are 2 fittings in your lounge. Is the problem with both? What wires do you have at the 2 roses? Please be more specific about exactly what you have in your lounge, fitting and switching wise.

The cable with the yellow wire is normally used for 2 way switching between the switches but sounds like it's been used, in your case, in lieu of a normal T+E.

I have one single switch that controls the living room lights only. By the stairs (other side of the room) is a double light switch. One controls the living room lights, the other the landing light at the top.

So you have two switches that switch on the lights (ie two way lighting?)???.

First step, open up the back of the two switches. You should have a 3-core cable going to the single switch. Tell us exactly what wire goes to which terminal on the switch (probably red > C. blue > L1, Yellow > L2)
On the double switch you will probably have two 3 core cables
Tell us exactly what colour wires are on which terminal for the cable that controls the living room lights.

Also tell us what cables you have each of the light positions.

Once we have this info can advise further.

Sponsored Links
Right!

The single switch has:

C - 1 blue
L1 - 1 red and 1 yellow
L2 - 2 red
The earth wires are not connected.

The double switch has:

1 red
1 yellow
1 blue attched to the switch that operates the living room.

Hope this is a reasonable description.
Please excuse me if I sound like I know nothing; its because I know nothing!

What colours are on which terminals on the double switch and what cables are at each ceiling light position??

You should connect the unconnected earth wires in the switch before you do anything else. then you shoud connect live on the light to whichever connection (reds, or yellow) that you didn't connect it to the first time you tried it

It seems to me that someone has used a 3C+E from JB to light fixture and provided a unswitchd live there as well (maybe they had a ceiling fan there at one time and wanted to use the wall switch to just control the light and use the fan on the pull chain on the unit itself, or something like that)

Dont assume anything. Assume makes an ass out of u and me!
Dont forget that in 2 way switching, all colours are, or can be, live!

Waiting to see the response to get the full information. I want to know where the second red comes from in the single switch. ???
Mrtomato. How many cables go into the single switch.

OK

The double switch for starters. Looking at it connected there are six terminals.

Blue Red Yellow

Yellow Red Blue

is the pattern.

Two cables run into this switch and each has 1 blue, 1 red and 1 yellow. The earth wires appear to be disconnected again.

The single switch.
Two cables appear to run into it. One has 2 red +earth, the other a blue, yellow and red.

The

I am trying to help you. You are not giving me the information I asked for.
Read my post above carefully and tell me what I'm asking for, I dont have time to dick around.
:rolleyes:

Last chance:

I need to know what wires go to what terminals on each switch. The terminals are marked C L1 and L2. The word "pattern" means nothing.

Then I still am waiting to know what cables are connected to the two light positions.
Ignore the earth connections, for now.

Taylortwocities said:
Dont assume anything. Assume makes an ass out of u and me!

That is a sentiment I agree with 100%. I could relate a story from my early days of assuming that just because 8 out of 9 sockets in a flat were dead the 9th would be too! Blew holes in the blades of my cutters. Given the info above, any assumption as to what is actually going on could prove lethal.

mr tomato - you have to be our eyes and give us all the info we'd normally acquire with a single glance or any advice we give is pure postulation.

Moderators - would it be possible to include a guide in the FAQ's to posting on this forum detailing the need to be specific over wiring positions etc.

Well, I am sorry if my politeness in every post has ****ed you off. I have zero electrical knowledge - all I want is advice. I am trying to be specific and will look again tomorrow at my wiring.

I don't have time to 'dick around' either and I find it rather offensive that you accuse me of wasting your time. No-one made you answer my post in the first place.

I never come onto a forum where I know there are people far more knowledgable than myself and demand help. I am actually very mild mannered and polite.

SS, I resent that remark. Of course I dont and if you look at my posts above I have asked Mr Potato Head specific questions on several occassions and have not had anything close to the answers.

Like this:
my question:
First step, open up the back of the two switches. You should have a 3-core cable going to the single switch. Tell us exactly what wire goes to which terminal on the switch (probably red > C. blue > L1, Yellow > L2)
On the double switch you will probably have two 3 core cables
Tell us exactly what colour wires are on which terminal for the cable that controls the living room lights.

His answer was:
The double switch for starters. Looking at it connected there are six terminals.

Blue Red Yellow

Yellow Red Blue

is the pattern.

Two cables run into this switch and each has 1 blue, 1 red and 1 yellow. The earth wires appear to be disconnected again.

The single switch.
Two cables appear to run into it. One has 2 red +earth, the other a blue, yellow and red

OK how do I deduce anything from that reply.

I'll be glad when Monday comes and I finish my holiday and get back to helping people who want to be helped.

I use this and other forums to learn from others and, where I can, assist.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back