Ceiling light - Please, please help me!!!!!!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
ok - I know I'v done a daft thing and I'm therefore willing to take any negative comments along with the more positive (bit of a pun going on there - sorry)

I have been through all the FAQ's and any posts I could find relating to Ceiling lights and I haven't found anything like what I have on my lounge ceiling :( .

To try to simplify your task, I have taken a photo of the rose as it is wired.

Basically on the ceiling rose wiring, there is the following:

4 black wires going into a metal connector with three holes, two wires are screwed into each of two holes, a third hole has no wires in it.

3 red wires going into a second metal connector, one single wire in each of the three holes.

4 earth wires which are connected together in a third single metal connection.

1 yellow and green wire going into a single metal connection.

Then 2 red wires and 1 blue wire going into the plastic connector.

The light I want to wire up has the usual cable with brown, blue and yellow/green wires, plus a thicker earth wire from the brass light fitting.

In the room I have this central light I need to wire up, plus two wall lights which are wired.

They are controlled by two independant dimmer switches, one for the central ceiling light and one for the two wall lights.

Where do I put what wire? (No rude comments please, I know I should not be doing this myself but at present have no other option)

CEILINGROSEWIRING.jpg
[/img]

Sponsored Links
From first glances, it looks like at that ceiling light you have four twin and earths, two of them being the loop in wiring and the other two feeds to the wall lights, and a triple and earth to the switch, with red going to both commons, and blue the return for the wall lights and yellow (I think if you look closely you will find it hasn't got any green on it) the return for the ceiling light.

Get a marker and make a mark on the two reds that are in the terminal block with the blue with a dot, you can then remove the rose and separate all the wires, the twins and earths with the dots on the reds are the wall lights, the other two T&E are loop in, and the 3C and earth is the switch. You can also work out which cable has had its earth chopped back and not connected, becuase there should be 5 not 4 of them

You'll need a 5 way piece of chock block,
put the loop reds with the red from the switch
put all four blacks together, along with the neutral from your new fixture
put the blue together with the 2 reds for the wall fixtures
put the yellow together with the live from your new fixture
put all 5 earths, plus the earth from your new ficture together

Or you can use a JB in the attic and drop down a single T&E to your new light (providing there isn't a story above the ceiling)

Sponsored Links
Thank you Adam, I will see what I can do. I don't actually have to remove the rose, I just want to wire up the light fitting. But I think you have given me the information I need as to where to wire up each of the wires from the light fitting I want to install.

Adam - I think I love you! :oops:

I wired in the light unit following your instructions and it worked first time!

Thank you so much! :LOL:

If I was you I'd invest in a new ceiling pendant set £1.30 which has insulated live terminals rather than just a piece of copper that you can touch like yours!!!

Hi Dean,

Thanks for your suggestion. The terminals you saw in the photo where infact insulated, I removed the insulation cover to get better access to them, all neatly back in their proper place now and fully insulated.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back